Carol Kaye bass course opinions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by xtopher, Mar 21, 2004.

1. xtopher

Oct 13, 2002
    Has anybody seen the Carol Kaye bass course either on video or dvd — is it any good?

2. Chris, I own both, the DVD and (old format) VHS.

I have studied with Carol since about 1974 and her approach is very understandable, it makes more sense to me then the 6 years I spent at SJSU studying music, check it out, you won't be sorry!

;) Treena
  3. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I completely agree with Treena. I spent several years paracticing scales and all that kind of thing, which is what all commercially available books advocated. Didn't get me anywhere.

Carol's methods are mainly about chords and substitutions, and about how chords function. It works. My ears/abilities improved dramatically. I'm a fully paid up subscriber to Carol's methods. I don't agree with all of her suggestions about equipment/tone, but she can teach.

I just need more time to practice!

4. xtopher

Oct 13, 2002
    I'm particularly interested in her pick playing technique, is there much on that?

5. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I have little time to practice so I want the best out of my time. CK's dvd is like a concentrated version of many other courses and she shows practicle applications (not 'mary had a little lamb'). two thumbs up!
  6. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Her bass DVD course offers complete instruction in the picking method she uses as does most of her books.

IMHO you want to learn how to understand the bass Carol is the proper teacher.

7. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I've been thinking of ordering her DVD course, then I saw this thread. I'm going to go ahead and do it. Since I'm going to be placing this order in the next couple of days, do ya'll have a suggestion for what other book I might order at the same time? I've been playing for about a year and I want something to help ramp up my knowledge as fast as I can. I'm taking lessons but I want to augment my practice time with Carol's stuff. Any ideas?
  8. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    I would suggest getting the site reading DVD course as well. Along with any of her written materials. I find myself using both DVD courses and my playing constantly improves.

For starters, all need the required theory to be able to function in music: Rock-Funk Bass CD and Guide, and the Bass DVD Course which yes, has a good section on picking and other techniques. And for walking, Jazz Bass CD and Guide as well as the Standards I and II which has pointers on how to really read chord charts (leaving stuff out,
    putting stuff in, all the roadmaps of reading charts), and the Pro's Jazz Phrases.

All of Carol's tutorials come with instruction manuals, but you also have the option to purchase just the book or the CD/DVD!

Also, don't be afraid to post your questions on her forum, she will respond to you just like we are!

Another thing I would remind some of you of, not everyone is a studio musician, nor a jazz guitar player, so of course you may not agree with Carol's choice of sound or gear!

10. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    As Treena says Carol has lots of good things.

I most used and still use.

Music Reading DVD course
    Bass DVD course
    Jazz Bass Booklet and Cassette.

I have almost everything else she has to offer.

Printed out all her laying tips from her site.

Carol can make or help any bass player if they will practice.