1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IconBasser, Aug 27, 2007.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    waddaya think?

2. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Top Notch Pro Stuff!! Excelent build quality, all birch plywood, and they use only the best of Eminence drivers. As good as any cab on the market IMHO. And resonably priced to boot.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Not about Carvin bass cabs per se, but this thread covers a couple of their PA cabs that are an incredible value for bassists who want a more accurate sound in a small light loud package.

Boutique 3-way 115 and 215 on a budget

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Ah, I see the gentleman from Spokane already linked it : }

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I really like the NEO cabs.

6. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    well, it talks about the PA system.. what about the bass cabs? I really don't care about weight or anything, I wanna know about the sound. Are they good sounding cabs? I've tried a few of the redline rigs in the Covina Carvin store, and didn't like em. Was it the cabs or the head? They just sound really muddy to me, and unbalanced, and when you tried to cut the lows, you got this really disgusting clicky honky tone...

and I couldn't for the life of me balance the tone out. no matter what I tried, the low would be fat and muddy, and as soon as you got to the D string, the lows would suddenly die and leave a very weak and thin trebly tone.

so is it the head or the cabs?

7. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I'll guarantee you, it was the head. Try those cabs with any head that you consider as THE best, and I can tell you for sure, it's NOT the cabs. They are great. It's what sends them the signal, that is freakin you out. I've pushed them at twice their RMS ratings for hours, and they come back laughin'

8. TommyRay777

TommyRay777

Aug 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I played a Carvin kick-back combo with two tens and a horn (600 watts, if I remember correctly). Loads of power and a direct out for plugging into a PA. Really liked it. Now I usually jsut play through the PA and hear my bass through a personal monitor. Works fine (as long as you trust the sound man).

9. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I am very much a fan of Carvin gear, own a ton of it.

Two things that I personally can't seem to overlook with their cabs though: no 8 ohm versions and no corner protectors.

If it wasn't for that I probably would have bought Carvin cabs a long time ago.

10. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    It's probably the head. That's the general buzz I get- that the Redline pre's sound pretty lackluster. Murky EQ, not a real fine piece of engineering. But the only feedback I've ever heard on the Carvin cabs has been good. My own too, when I had one- solid sound, no bs.

Good buzz on their power amps too.

11. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    sweet. I currently own a 1000 watt redline series III, with 2x10 and 1x15. I was pressured into buying it buy my dad, cuz it was used and really cheap (payed like, 600 bux for the whole thing) and never really liked the sound. I was debating whether to just swap out the head or the whole thing.

well, I guess I'll swap the head with a GK or maybe a genz benz. Both good heads. the Reno jazz Fest this year was sponsored by Genz Benz, had em all over the place. They completely blew me away.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    The newer Neo BRX cabs are reportedly much better than the Redlines. If there weren't so many other good options out there, I'd consider the BRX cabs myself. But not the Redlines...

MM

13. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Thought the same of the redlines sound. My friend runs a pro audio shop and said the amps are OK but the speakers are not.

Picked up a Pro Bass 1X10 for cheap and it had that muddy sound. Took it over to the shop and we dropped in an Eminence BP102 and the thing came to life.

Now I ain't no sonic engineer but the Carvin PS10 speaker had much more resistance to move the cone than the BP102. Does a stiff basket cause muddy sound? I have no idea, but I'm quite happy with it now.

Carvin002.

FWIW I tried the 1503 at the factory and it didn't have that muddy sound but the 1523 did. The 1503 to my ears is their best PA cab.

Jim

14. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Swap the speakers out. See post above.

Jim

15. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I could get a good sound out of the Redline 1000. You have to start flat (and ignore/switch off the graphic EQ until you have the other section dialed in nicely, because there's just too much for most people), and go gentle on big boosts or cuts in the main EQ section. Also, you have a few more final gain stages than most people are willing to read the manual about to actually use right.

Crap sounds are easy to come by until you understand the controls and what each one was intended for. Then it's easy to get a lot of good sounds out of it.

RTM, dude! If that never gets you on track, go for something more like the B1500 which has a very simple flow and sounds great because there's less room for user error ; }

16. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    hmm... well, the verdict is ALMOST unanimous that it's the head and not the speaker... but the latest post suggests otherwise... who to believe, who to believe???

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    There aren't too many gains to be had in speaker swapping with the 410 unless you are willing to drop some dinars. Swapping the stocker out in that cab for Deltalite II 2510 will give only mild gains.

18. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    I've had it for about a year now, and even took it to the Carvin shop for EQ suggestions. no dice, I've never gotten satisfactory tone from it.

19. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez

:eyebrow: Am I reading you right? Both of my Carvin cabs are 8 ohms.......peace, John