1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Carvin Mystery Bass ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j_p_stroud, Mar 6, 2013.

1. j_p_stroud

j_p_stroud

Mar 6, 2013
    Ok, so maybe its not a huge mystery...

Bought new at the Carvin store in 1993, passive 4 string fretless, neck through and walnut, serial number 31087 (so made in 91-94 according to Carvin's website)...looks like a LB20 but with a diamond headstock, so what it REALLY looks like is an LB90, which was discontinued in 87...

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Guess nobody knows. Sure is purdy though....
    :)

3. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    The pickups tell you it's later than '89 because it is a Jazz style pickup, probably one of the H50 models. So this is an LB20. Wilkinson bridge means '91-'98. Carvin tuners instead of Spirzels, so that means '96 or later. So it's a '96-'98 LB20 with optional diamond headstock, which is interesting. Nice find!

4. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

Dec 19, 2010
    Norwich, CT
    But the OP bought it new in '93......... Time machine?

5. the mojo hobo

the mojo hobo

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    It Carvin. You can order it how you want it. You can still order one today with that headstock.

6. j_p_stroud

j_p_stroud

Mar 6, 2013
    The tuners threw me also. They aren't the tuners found on the 93 LB20. Still, I bought it new in 93, at Carvin. Might be the standard tuners looked odd on the diamond headstock so they went back to the tuners they used on the LB90, which had a slimmer look. I bought it because I fell in love with her look. It wasn't till years later I realized how great she sounded.
    Thanks for the replies.

7. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    It's an LB90 body shape and headstock. I don't know if the '87-'88 LB90's were dovetails or neck throughs, but the shape and headstock are all LB90.

87_lb90-large.

If it was purchased at one of the Carvin stores and not ordered spec by spec, it's possible the store ordered it in the 90's. Just because an instrument isn't in the catalog doesn't always mean it is no longer available, and we don't know what the case was in the early 90's.
    Regardless, it is a gorgeous bass, and I want it :)

8. jim777

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    It does have the LB20 bridge placement and passive knob placement though....

93_lb20-lb70-large.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Does look nice.

10. jim777

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Just noticed the quote in the LB70 page by Roger Sadowsky praising the bass :)

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Doesn't suprise me that a bass was ordered with an older model headstock. Back in 94 I ordered an LB70 with an "older" 2+2 headstock like what was used on the 80's LB50's and such. At the time the traditional headstock option wasn't on the catalog, and the Hollywood store ordered it for me. Shortly after that is became listed as an option.

12. jim777

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    It's not just the headstock though, it's the body. It has the look of a stretched LB90, as the LB90's bridge came almost to the endpin and it doesn't on this bass. And the LB20/70 had the pointed horns (as it were), and not the rounded ones this bass has.

This particular body shape/configuration doesn't appear to be in any of the catalogs, and the rounded horns don't appear to be an option for the LB20/70. Even if they were, I'm not certain there is enough wood in the horns of the LB20/70 to have them come out as round as they are on this bass. I know Carvin has more options than anyone else, but one off body shapes aren't an everyday thing for them certainly.

JP, do you have any more pics? :) I can host them for you if need be.

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Roger had done probably a few product reveiws for BP magazine back in the day. I still have one of the early BP mags that Roger did a product review of the AVS 62RI Jazz Bass, he compared it along with an original '62 stack knob.

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Me too. Glad I ordered Ebony on mine after reading it also.

:hyper: