Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Carvin RL810T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unity, Mar 15, 2005.

1. unity

unity

Mar 15, 2005
    Hey. Ive been looking around at cabs. Has anybody had any problems with this. I can get it new shipped at about 600. I could probably get it cheaper on ebay. Anyways. Anybody have any better ideas for that price range.

2. Yes, an Eden D410XLT from ebay.

3. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    Would the Eden 4x10 cab put out the volume the same as the Carvin 8x10????????

4. Possibly, maybe even more...who knows? Carvin doesn't post their specs.

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The Carvin drivers are not that efficient. The PS10 drivers that the Redline series uses is 94.7 at 1w/1m. Here is alink to all the Thiele Small parameters on their drivers:Carvin Thiele Small Specs

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    A Peavey 8x10 will be much louder, deeper, & probably cost the same. The Redline series aren't known for going too deep. :rollno:

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Try finding a Genz Benz 610. I found one new at a store for $600, and it is a great cab. I cannot find a better cab for that price range, and this thing is definately louder than any Carvin. 8 Ohms too so you can daisy it up to another cab (though there is no need, this is loud as hell). Peavy 810s are good too, but I prefer this 610.

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    We seem to be forgetting the Schroeder 410. Likely more volume than the Carvin can even dream up, and a MUCH MUCH more portable package. $900 new I believe.... if your willing to save up.

Or then again, if you had $600, you could get multiple Avatar cabs, and you'd surely be louder than the Carvin.... mostly because you'd have the ability to get larger speakers in your arrangement. :)

Carvin's arent horrible... but it is in Carvin's lower tier of cabs. I'd only get one if I SPECIFICALLY wanted an 810 cab, and had a lot of power to run through it (in case it was inefficient).

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The old red line series are about as close to horrible as you can get. The rolloff for the 10s is somewhere around 120 hz, they're more like guitar speakers than bass speakers. :eyebrow:

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    120Hz!!! :eek:

Wow....

Um..... dont get one. :ninja:

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would doubt this, seeing that the cab is 60 to 16K +/- 3 dB.

Still, even relatively flat down to 60 Hz isn't optimal. Personally, I'd bet that one of their new BRX10 4-10s would put out more effective sound and have a better low end than the RedLine 8-10.

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've heard nothing but great things about the BRX series, but I haven't tried one out myself yet.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Yeah, same for me. I'm probably going to be in SoCal this spring for a few days, though, and I'll likely take the opportunity to try the BRXs out.

14. Carvin very recently reworked their entire redline series of amps and cabs. They are now using titanium compression tweeters and different (noticeably smaller dust cap in the pics) 10 inch speakers. They also made the amps 5 pounds lighter.

15. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, they do. You can get specs and full manuals to all of their products at their website.

16. I looked. Couldn't find any specs on the 8x10 cab on their website.

17. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
  18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Go to main page. Go to Customer Service tab and click on manuals. Here is the direct link:http://www.carvin.com/manuals.php

19. That's just what I mean. What's the max SPL? What's the effeciency rating? Where's the -10db down point? I assume it's at 60hz, but I don't know. For a company who expects people to buy their stuff sight unseen through the mail they sure don't give you much info.

20. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Have you tried calling/emailing them? They are pretty good about answering questions/concearns. I haven't dealt with them in about 4 years though.