1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Carvin

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T-time, Jul 25, 2007.

1. T-time

T-time

Jul 23, 2007
    ehh... where to begin... my little combo (fender rumble 60) is in the process of bugging out and I'm looking to upgrade anyway. I'm looking at a Carvin BX 1200 head right now. I asked the owner of a local music store about carvin amps because I don't know much about them. He didn't have a very high opinion about them and told me to look around some more. But I've read so many good reviews... if anyone has had any experience with Carvin amps I'd appreciate the assistance.

2. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    My opinion is that a store owner would rather sell you something he stocks versus something you could buy direct from the manufacturer.

3. Search, my friend. There are tons of threads about this. (I know, because I probably posted in at least half of them. And BTW, I own a Carvin B1500.)

4. T-time

T-time

Jul 23, 2007
    Normally that would be the case but I've known this guy a while and I figure he would be more inclined to help me than make a sale... but you do have a point.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    If you stick with the brx series you're okay. The old redline series had some problems and carvin gained a bad rep because of that. my carvin b800 is an excellent amp and very well priced. I like it better than my eden wt405 which is twice the price. that bx1200 looks nice. lots of power and tweaking options. from what people i've talked to have said, the bx1200 sounds very similar to the b1500/b800 but maybe a little warmer.

I say go for it.

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    For the money, I don't think you can beat Carvin. They make very nice amps at a very reasonable price. They also have a ten day trial period so there's very little risk. If you want a SS amp, do it!

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    +1. I can remember a time when the Amps forum here was awash with Carvin complaints.

The new BX1200 (rated 1200W at 4 ohms bridged) looks like an excellent value - provided that it's not just a Redline with a new faceplate.

8. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    With the ten day trial you may as well just try it. I personally can't quite get the tone i need out of them, but they are built very well and might work for you. The rehearsal studio i play at has B800s. They get a lot of abuse there but they have never failed on me.

9. TyronPotamkin

TyronPotamkin

Dec 12, 2006
    All I pretty much run is Carvin and no I'm not endorsed nor am I an employee trying to push gear.

Anyway, the BX1200 is a very solid head with a lot of very useful features. Bass player magazine gave it the editors choice award a few months ago, you might check out their web page and article on it.

I personally have not played on this head but I do own the BRX212 combo, PB200-15 combo, BR810 cabinet, and a '75 ST2400 head. Now the only problems I have had out of any of this is I have had to replace the speakers in the 212 three times in under a year(my fault, heavy right hand) and the speaker in the PB200 a few times over the course of four years or so(again my fault, heavy hand). Never had a problem with any of their power sections.

The biggest reason why a lot of people dont like Carvin bass gear(or gear in general) is that it is focused in the low-mid/mid range. They can get really low and gutteral but they do it with definition and not boomy at the same time. Take Ampeg for instance, they are considered a "staple" in hard rock and heavy metal music. They can as well get low and gutteral, but, they loose a massive amount of definition. When they have definition it's still pretty muddy and "loose" as I like to call it.

And you will always hear that Carvin has nothing but problems, I call BS, name a company that does not have any problems.

10. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    +1

11. I bought the Carvin AG100, which can be used as a bass amp. Sounded great. After about 4 months of no rehearsals, no gigs and no abuse at all it just stopped working, and Carvin told me they would fix it for $145 + shipping. I would be hesitant to order another Carvin product.

12. Something's not right there. That's supposed to have a 1 year warranty, presuming you bought it new. At 4 months, it should still be under warranty, so you should be able to get it fixed for just the cost of shipping. Did you communicate that to Carvin? Or maybe the service person misunderstood?
    Recent stories suggest their CS may be spotty at the moment, though I've been lucky enough to have gotten superb service on the few occasions when I've needed it.

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I still have a DCM2000 power amp that i bought back in i think 2002 or 2003. I've ran it @ 2 ohms bridged before [not rated to do so] and all it did was run a bit warmer than usual.

14. TyronPotamkin

TyronPotamkin

Dec 12, 2006
    well that definatly sounds like an un-knowing at Carvin. Since it was well inside the factory one year warranty they should have fixed for free. You still would have had to pay shipping but they should have fixed it.

I wont lie to anyone, Carvin customer service is less than par. Thats why you have to keep asking for the next in command until you get the person who knows whats going on, when that person is found everything goes better than expected with usually a handful of free stuff on the return shipment.

And like I said in my original post, name a company that hasnt had a problem. Even the "almighty's" of amps have problem from time to time.

15. And I bet if you asked him which amps or cabs he has played through or heard being used, he wouldn't be able to name any.

Since they are not sold through stores, most music shops NO NOTHING about them. The only contact they have with them is trade-ins and used gear.

Do some research, there are plenty of resources on this forum alone.

I personally own and use: B1500, R1000 series II, RL118, V115, Cyclops cab, two HD1800 power amps.

16. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I run lots of Carvin gear. Bass and PA stuff. All top quality pro stuff. All of it is trouble free.

17. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    If anything, Customer Service is Carvin's downfall, NOT their gear...

18. TyronPotamkin

TyronPotamkin

Dec 12, 2006
    +1

19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I have been using Carvin gear since January 2004. I currently own the B800, B1500, four LB70 basses, an AC40 bass, a full Carvin 12 channel PA complete with monitors and sub, as well as a DCM150 power amp with PM5 reference monitors for my recording gear.

I can honestly say that to this day, I have NEVER had a single solitary issue with anything I own that has the Carvin name on it.

Now lets hope I didn't just jinx myself.:smug:

20. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Most store owners won't recommend brands that don't come through the store often. I've had my pb200 combo 8 years and it works great. Very punchy , modern sounding if you want, built in compressor and noise gate, ,, but now discontinued. Actually it is part of the redline era of amps.
    I did send my bass back to Carvin to have the frets repaired that were poking out the side of the fingerboard. Started within a few days of receiving it. I waited a year or so before sending it back in case other issues came up. I've had to adjust this neck more than any other bass (5 pc, mahagony w/maple stripes)
    When I got it back it had a deep gouge in it.:mad: I could send it back or get $50 off in merchandise.:spit: It cost $30 already in shipping. Screw that. A year later I wanted to order a few things,,,they wouldn't honor their word.:scowl:
    I haven't bought anything since.
    This was all before I found TB. There are lots of brands where you get what you pay for. (Yamaha comes to mind) I've enjoyed the Combo but I wouldn't buy a new bass. Go used if you can try one 1st.