Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Casady Players.......I'm back!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maxvalentino, Oct 14, 2003.

1. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Ok, all of your "Jacksters". A couple of years ago I had a Casady bass...and I really loved it, in fact I wrote a feature and review on the Casady bass here for TalkBass... but once I fell into the spell of my lovely Godin A series basses, the Casady bass just did not get played too much. I felt bad about that, as I think instruments should be played and not just sit in their cases. I had a student who loved both the sound and the looks of it, and so I sold it to him (at a considerable bargain, at that!). And, ever since, I have kicked myself for parting ways with the Jack.

Kept writing myself little post-it notes to "get another Casady".

This past week I played some gigs in Northern Calif. and happened to stop into a music store in Santa Cruz....lo and behold there was a Casday bass, used, but in excellent condition (in fact, it is a better constructed, cosmetically, bass than my previous Casady)

Needless to say, that bass left the store with me! Damn I just love the sounds this machine makes. A rich and full and pure tone which just cannot be had from other "solid" basses, and certainly not from active electronics. NOt only does it excell at "conventional" bass playing, but it really shines in my sometimes chordally-intensive solo style (but you guys already know this!) I am fullfilled once again, and this time I won't be letting the "Jack" go!

Interestingly, this bass is a '98 model, gold-top, but the Vari-Ohm control is mounted reverse from other Casady's I have seen/played (with the dial pointing up rather than down) and the "chicken head" knob is white rather than black. Could this have been a replacement, or have any of you seen or have the same set up?

Great to be back with Jack........

Max

P.S. I'll chime in on the strings on Jack thing...
    This one came with D'Addario Chromes Flats on it..nice sound really; deep, robust and smooth. But, I repalced those with TI Jazz Rounds and the bass just absolutely sings!
    One thing about the Casady is the "fun factor" in playing it. It is som damn fun to play that it actually incites and invites you to play it more. I think that is kind of a rare deal with most production basses, and certyainly sets the Casady apart from the "pack".

2. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Welcome back, Prodigal Son!

Frank.

P.S. _ I have Dean Markley Blue Steel MLs one one casady; TI Jazz Flats on another & the D'Addario Chromes on a Proto-Casady that I have. All 3 strings have their place.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome back to the fold, the pick up in this bass is far better then any of the other epiphone pick ups. Max may i suggest the power bass strings by TI that is what i am using and they really do the trick. The Casady is a great live bass, not alot of Eqing with this one. Try anyother good semi hollows?.

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have tried TI Power Bass too (I am a TI endorsee, and use all of their strings). Because I play a lot of chordal style playing (not just double stops, mind you) I tend to go for the more flexible and lighther JRs.

But, I am really happy to my Casady back!

Yes, I am a bit of an afficianado of semi-hollows.
    My main basses are both Godin semi acoustics; a fretted A4 and fretless A5 (set up with a high C instead of the standard low B).
    But I am always trying out different semi's.
    Have played the Lakland, which is simply incredible, and incredibly priced too. I hear Lakland is coming out with a Skyline version of that, which sounds really good.
    Have also checked out the Cirton AE, Spector (which left me a bit underwhelmed), the Warwick Infinity (ditto), Azola Nouveau (incredible!) and most recently the new Rick Turner Featherweight Model 1...which is just a freakin' fantastic bass!
    Pricey, but it sounds like no other.

For now, though, I am as happy as can be with the Jack.

Max

5. AHA! You have retuned to your senses, Max! :D

Glad to hear you're back in the Jacksters club.

What else can anyone say about this bass?

It really is that good.

I'm trying to initiate Thor into the Jacksters club. Speaking of which, we should do a roll call of current Jackbass owners.

So far there's:

Max Valentino
    Yggdrasil - Formerly Avignon (you have two?)
    Major Metal
    Rllefebv
    Peter Weil
    Takeout
    drd107
    Vanselus
    Notduane
    Your's Truly

Who else owns one?

Mike

6. MAJOR METAL

Max i am a bt of a semi hollow who*e myself

have a Casady and a warwick infinity heres the infinity

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i just cant get enough of the infinity... just wish i had $2000 dollars to buy one

8. MAJOR METAL

Most of the time i think you will spend alittel more then $2000 on the infinity

9. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Max- I had a Lakland HB for about 6 months - I liked it a lot ergonomically, but I found the pickup tone to be too tame - that's when I decided I'd rather have 2 Casadys - one with rounds, one with flats (you can actually have 3 Casadys for the price of one Lakland.:)I just love that Casady tone.I would buy another Lakland if there were other pickup options.YMMV.

I have a Turner Model 1 (2002)mahogany with piezo as a second pup; AFAIK, the lightweight isn't really a HB;it's a western red cedar core with a thin hardwood skin, as opposed to all mahogany.Rick explains it all in several posts on the Dudepit in the Turner bass forum.

Frank

10. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey guys

i would love to join the jack club too (maybe next bass??) but i was looking on epiphone's website and was wondering if there is a fretless version, i didn't see any option like that. i know its a signature model but has anyone ever defretted a jack? i bet that would be one heck of a sweet fretless tone.

-jimbo :ninja:

11. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    There is no fretless version - I was thinking of doing it at one time, but never did.

12. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Yo. Count me in (JC in black).

13. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    anyone in the NY Metro area know where to try one out? Most of the stores near me have to special order it. I'd like to try before i buy.

14. The only Casady bass I've seen in person (other than my own) was a black one in the Sam Ash Queens store about a year ago. A week later it was gone. Three years ago I couldn't find one anywhere, but was so interested in them that I just up and bought one.

I wish I could help you, lawndart. ;)

Mike

15. Hey Takeout, you've been added to the list. :)

Mike

16. MAJOR METAL

May be some where on 48th street would have a Jack Bass. Mike does Musicans friend still have good deals on them.

17. I just checked, and MF has them in stock (black only) at their regular price of $719.00.

I didn't see MF offerring a case, which is usually $89.00

They're $835.00 at www.casadybass.com with the case, but they're out of stock there at the moment.

Mike

18. MAJOR METAL

Mike are you still with the FBI

19. SHHHH!!! :D

The agency I work for isn't known to the general public. :eek:

I don't even know who I work for.

Does this surprise anyone? :D

Mike :p

20. MAJOR METAL

Can you give us a hint were you work for, I work for quite a large company myself, actually we can be found everywhere and we have only men employeys in what i do any gusses.;)