1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Casters on GoLight 410s; Coupling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbasswil, Aug 13, 2012.

1. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Hi there!

I'm interested in the GoLight 410s -- either the ported regular or the sealed Marcus Miller.

This is pre-audition; but I'm expecting the MM (sealed) version to suit me a bit better. These have more punch and less low lows. Apparently the ported ones are pretty, er... _portly_ down low. I don't need huge low extension to be bouncing around a stage, interfering with the PA's subs, & the drum mic's.

Now add a variable: I'd _love_ to have big casters on it. I have enough pieces to remember without adding a separate dolly.
    I'd like to be able to place my head and bag on the cab, and roll it all in from a parking lot.

(I'd probably replace the puny SWR casters with bigger ones; but that's another issue.)

But if you play through the cab on the casters, it's suspended above the ground, and you lose lows (through decoupling) anyway. Not sure the sealed MM version would need to lose more lows.

So I'm wondering if I'd be happier with the regular ported GoLight 410 -- its substantial lows mitigated by the caster's elevation.

Any comments or thoughts? TIA!

2. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Bump - Bump - Bump...Ti-BumpBump!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You don't lose lows with floor coupling till you elevate it like 28 inches. I forget the exact amount, but that's what Bill FM always said. So knock yourself out with the casters unless they're taller than 28 inches ;)

4. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    Put the castors on the bottom of the cab, screw some small feet on the side so the cab sits solid on the floor and lay it on its side when in use. That's what I do

5. +1

No problem with standard casters, in fact they may help with some boomy stages somewhat.

6. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Hey, thanks for the helpful responses, guys.

So I'll just choose between sealed and ported based on my in-store taste test, rather than trying to anticipate some effect of "decoupling".

Next job is to figure out an easy way to get large casters on a Golight, working around the small sockets casters that are already built-in.

From other threads I think the way to go is screw-on plates that accept standard plate-size slide-on casters. I hope there are some locking casters that work on that system.

Any wheel tips/recommendations are welcome!

7. I believe Mesa-Boogie has some like that.

8. Remove the sockets and screw on some big muthas from home depot if you want. But the stock casters are fine if you don't load it with a huge rack and try to push it through gravel.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The Mesa ones are about the best removable ones I've seen as far as locking in tight, etc.

But yes, when I used to play big cube cabs like that, I'd just go buy a set of big 3-1/2" or 4" wheels from a hardware store and put them in with lag bolts and lockwashers. You could rip the wood apart before the wheels would break. The bigger the wheel, the better it goes over thresholds, sidewalk cracks, etc. Better in gravel too.

10. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Not being very handy, I had to look up "lag bolts".
    So they're simply screws that tighten with a wrench, right?

And lockwashers are washers with a break in their circumference, right? Somehow these prevent the lag bolts getting loose?

After I buy the cab, I'll have to get the bracket/plates and slide-on casters, to visualize how this'll all come together against the cab's existing hardware.
    I'm wondering if the lag bolt heads will be recessed enough to not interfere with the caster's slide-on plate.

tia.

11. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    I want to be able to stack it with gear and roll over anything -- like a monster truck over grandma's Sentra. ;^D lol!

12. Spfairchild

Spfairchild Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Genzler Amplification, GHS Strings, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance Electronics Contributing Reviewer: Bass Gear Magazine
    Funny I should come upon this just now - I just received some new, 3" pop out casters for my Golight cab, but in seeing them I'm worried that the posts are too large, even though I found the dimensions in another forum thread. I guess I'll see when I get home!

13. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Spfairchild, please post when you find out if they fit! Could save me a lot of hassle.

Liking your Golight? Is it the 4x10? If so, is it pretty loud for a 4x10?

tia!

14. Spfairchild

Spfairchild Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2005
    Seattle
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, Genzler Amplification, GHS Strings, Tsunami Cables, Sonic Nuance Electronics Contributing Reviewer: Bass Gear Magazine
    I do like the Golight, and it is loud. I wrote up a little review of the non-MM Golight vs the Ampeg PN410 neo cab - search around here or check out my previous posts to find it!

15. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    I just read that review yesterday, but didn't notice who wrote it!
    It was helpful, thanks.

Btw, the larger replacement casters: do they lock, per chance? I'm imagining that non-locking ones could be pretty annoying. Stages aren't all perfectly flat, huh?

16. I tried that with my old Yammie "monster" cabs. Worked great unti I would hit an F#....then all 8 wheels would spin like mad. Not F. Not G. F# only??

17. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Aargh!! Isn't there always something to distract from just playing music?!
    Why can't gear work as transparently and reliably as, say, a landline from good ol' Ma Bell?

(Wait, do you call the phone co. Ma Bell down in the 'States?? Canuck here...)

18. Call me crazy, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest you try the cab as-is before modding it.

19. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    You mean try it with the wheels that come with it? 'Cause they're pretty small -- not really pavement worthy.

If you mean: make sure it's sonically the cab for me, before I start reducing its resale value -- then yup, I will certainly do that.

20. You'd be surprised how much those wheels can take. I'm not particularly careful with mine and I've had no problems.