1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Casters

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B410, Mar 29, 2015.

1. B410

B410

Mar 29, 2015
    Does anyone know the size of casters required for acoustic B410 MKII bass cab & where I can find them?

2. Build yourself a dolly with as large in diameter wheels as you can find. Larger wheels go over bumps and cracks much better than smaller ones. Use that to move your cabinet and then use it to move any other pieces of gear that needs moving. It can also be used within the home for moving furniture, appliances and the like.

FretNoMore likes this.
  3. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Doesn't the cabinet already have sockets for casters? You might have to measure them to be sure, but they are probably standard size.

4. That cab has sockets for casters but apparently doesn't come with any.
    There's nothing listed on Acoustic's weak website, but the sockets are probably a standard size so something like this will possibly fit: Peavey Pop-Out 2" Swivel Caster Set of 4

The main thing is that IF you want to use removable casters there's not a lot of choices, and the shaft size is the deciding factor or they just won't fit.

Be advised that tiny casters like this blow goats. 2" wheels are barely better than no wheels at all. You can roll across floors, slowly, but that's about it.
    I kept buying larger and larger casters until finally hitting the right size which is 4".
    Not 3 1/2", which many people think are huge. Been there, done that.
    Over brick paver sidewalks, door frames, grass, carpet, seams in stages, whatever you throw at them 4" casters offer the best performance.

I get mine at Harbor Freight Tools for around $4 each whenever they go on sale or there's a coupon.
    I would gladly pay 3 times that for how easy they make transporting my gear.

Use short 5/16" socket-head steel screws with washers to attach.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    ErnieD and alaskaleftybass like this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    So you mounted the casters on the amp? Dumb question: They aren't removable?

6. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Never mind. I went to Harbor Freight. They're permanent. Thanks for the great tip!

7. My pleasure, glad to help.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    That's what I did, made dollies for my bass rig as well as the bigger components of my PA, with indentations for the feet so the cabs are locked down sideways on the dolly. Put a strap around the dolly and whatever you're transporting on it and it will make rolling over rough ground, thresholds, carpet etc easier. Make the dolly slightly oversize and it will protect the cabs in transport too, stops them from rubbing against each other.

image.

9. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    a-men brother. I put 4" grey rubber industrial quality casters on a pretty hefty 2x15 cab and it became a pretty easy move after that. Those little 2" casters really are more trouble than they are worth ... at least IMO/IME.

10. Another "thumbs up"

Put them on my Mesa roadready cabs, and they are a breeze to move.