Casting Crowns - East to West

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by nukaidee, Jul 26, 2013.

1. nukaidee

nukaidee

Jul 26, 2013
    Hi there,

I've just started playing bass about 3 months ago and I just can't seem to get any of them "licks"..

I'm looking to improve the way I play at church and this song seems to have some really interesting spots that don't sound overly complicated. Can someone please point me in the right direction about what the bassist is doing? Especially in the second choruses and the bridge?

Thanks!

2. nukaidee

nukaidee

Jul 26, 2013
    So I did some homework.. and chorded the chorus.

IV VI V
    Jesus can you show me just how far the east is from the west
    ii IV
    ‘Cause I can’t bear to see the man I’ve been come rising up in me
    V
    again

VI I V
    In the arms of your mercy I find rest
    ii I VI
    ‘Cause you know just how far the east is from the west
    V
    From one scarred hand to the other

So I guess now the question is how does one walk from VI I V?

3. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001

hi nukaidee!

i'm not sure if you knew this already, but i actually played on that album and on that song, so hopefully i can point you in the right direction. :) the tune is based around the key of F# minor, so for the most part all of the chords fall into the harmonization of the A major scale. (A maj, B min, C# min, D maj, E maj, F# min, G# dim) knowing that helps you to know what notes you can use to play fills or transitional parts. a simple explanation is that you can use notes from the A major scale (A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#) or any of its derivative modes (B dorian, C# phrygian, D lydian, E mixolydian, F# aeolian, G# locrian) to play fills in the tune. if you don't know about modes yet, no problem. all of the ones i have mentioned contain only the notes from the A major scale, so if you can play an A major scale, you have all the info you need to get started!

hope that helps,

adam nitti

twdarby likes this.
  4. nukaidee

nukaidee

Jul 26, 2013
    Thanks for the information Adam! Interesting information - I'll keep working on it. I find basslines difficult to identify, either pitch or intervals.

5. Bass1965

Bass1965

May 3, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    That is so cool that Adam Nitti responded to your question! It is a great song - enjoy!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021