Cat language

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slugworth, Feb 4, 2005.

1. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

I've really been listening to my cat Sweetie Pumpkin lately,
    I've identified over 100 vocalizations; he speaks his own language of meows in 3 octaves, chirps, howls, wails, squeaks, purrs combined with all of them, guttaral squwaks, whimpers,
    cries, nasal growls, and a whole range of sounds that sound
    like human infant attempts at words. I've had 5 cats over the years and I've never had one as talkative as this little guy.
    What does it all mean?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    probably a grocery list for the fish market. :)
  3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Well, he is a shrimp and oyster on the half shell
  4. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Classic Money...

It isn't Money??? :confused:
  5. Maybe it's trying to say something to you
    You know cats can be quite intelligent I mean I've got a cat ( his name is reno ) and he scratches at the door when it either want's to come in ( from outside the house ) or want's to go out ( from inside )
    Plus when it is inside if he's hungry and no-one gives him any attention he'll scratch on the fridge
    Although my cat is the silent type I'm sure your cat is trying to reach out to you :D
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He's just incredibly embrarassed and is trying everything he knows, to get you to stop calling him "Sweetie Pumpkin"!! :mad:

He would prefer you address him as "vicious and mighty rodent slayer, Warmonger III" ......
  7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.

*LOL* I had no part in choosing his name, but it is somehow...befitting...He did catch 2 birds last week, one was catch and release, the other met it's demise..He also caught a nice plump tree rat too, and promptly chewed it's head off.
    He proudly delivered the remaining detritus to me personally.

8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I think Bruce has nailed it.... my cat Herpes used to do the same thing.....
  9. I can tell the differences in our cats' voices, but generally I'm pretty clueless as to what they're saying.

Usually "meow" or "meh" or "eew" or "purr purr." I'm thinking "purr purr" means "you'd better keep petting me, because I'll remember which pillow is yours when I have to go potty."
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

From your description - he definitely wants to be called something more manly - "Mighty Destroyer of all Flying and Scuttling things"... for example!! ;)
  11. One of my cats (Mr Monty) will be fast asleep in his armchair - I start to play my bass - he will get up, not make a sound, but he will give me the most distainful look :rolleyes: and retire to the bedroom… well, I can't say I blame him… :meh: It's strange, as the other cat doesn't seem to mind at all - oh well, there are critics, and there are critics I suppose…
  12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >>> Finally!! the "Meowlingual"... a cat language translator
    gadget!!! Why didn't I think of that!!! I'm gonna order up one
    of these little gems right away.. I'll report my findings right
    here on the TB OT forum ASAP..The engineers at Takara Co.
    Ltd are clearly geniuses!

13. I've noticed my cat makes diferent sounds for different things he wants. The wierdest one sounds like: "meggauen" meggaugen" and he sais it when he wants to go out.
    When I come home from work he sais wagnuuh, or something like that (sp? :rollno: ).... maybe I should just get out more
  14. I remember seeing on Tv once a man who had developed a doorbell system for his cat to use, and it adapted very easily. It would push it's weight down on this lever, which rang the house's doorbell system, and allowed them to let their cat in. Cool stuff.
  15. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yikes! Cat people, anyway...