Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cello Rosin

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by rake, Jul 20, 2004.

1. rake

rake

May 4, 2004
    Michigan
    I picked up a cake of Glaesel cello rosin today, after reading somewhere (I think it was in an article about Edgar Meyer) that using cello rosin could improve consistency of tone in the upper register. I cleaned of all the old bass rosin of my bow, and applied the new stuff, and I was blown away. No more scratchy sound, no more delayed, incosistent high notes. A quick tighten of the hair and my E started immediately. I'm stoked.
    Does anyone else use cello rosin instead of bass?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Yup. Don't have the name of the stuff that I like right now as the box was lost and the cake dropped and shattered. I'll get back to you in the next week or two, though.

3. Laurence U.

Laurence U.

Oct 25, 2003
    London
    I actually use violin rosin, but yes, I found a huge improvement in tone when i swapped to a powdery rosin, (assuming you occasionally wipe the strings clean). Theres also no risk of it melting and gooing up your bow. Its superior in all ways!

4. My teacher introduced me to dusty rosin 2 years ago and I can fully recommend you try it - not only does tone production improve but your technique needs to be solid in order to gain that tone so advantages all round!!

Only thing is you have to make sure you can make as much noise as the 'sticky' guys or they'll slate you!

5. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I bought some Pirastro cello rosin yesterday to try out as well because of the rumor that it was worth trying. Seems like the rumors were true.

Cool.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Spreading gossip about yourself? I love it!

I've been on cello rosin for a while and love it as well.

7. Come on guys - if it were that good and simple why would anyone even make a 'bass' rosin. What's the downside. Stuart hints you might have to try harder but you tell me - please?

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think your technique has to be much more refined. If you go for big and loud and use too much pressure instead of increasing spped you're a little more likely to sqwauk.

9. Thanks Ray - I guess I'll just have to try it - BTW, I took one of your posts to something on speed and presure to heart and it made a big difference - thanks again.

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Very cool! Although I don't recall what I wrote. I do remember that someone put up that volume=speed and not volume=pressure, but I don't think that this was me.

11. I know some cellists that use bass rosin.

12. Skywalker22

Skywalker22 Guest

I personally use a base layer of Nyman with either bernadel cello rosin on top or hidersine hard.. I like it.