1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ceramic or alnico???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by THIAGO Ibanez, Nov 11, 2010.

1. THIAGO Ibanez

THIAGO Ibanez

Dec 21, 2009
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I searched and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
    What's the diference between them on an EBMM SR5.
    Which on is better for slap??

Thanks.

2. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Neither one is better persay.

Check it out with your own ears both examples are going on here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BassGuitarMag#p/u/26/67Fo7AKwfA0

3. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
  4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    personally, i prefer the alnico's. IME, the ceramics are a bit stiff sounding for my taste, but everyone has different goals.

5. IME ceramics are more honest to the natural tone of a bass and alnicos are sweet.

6. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    Just a little heads up on the EBMM & SBMM thing.

The preamp for Sterlings and Stingrays are catered to the pickups themselves a bit, having said that I have built Alinco MM sytle basses with Bart Pres as well (which takes that out of the equation).

Personally I like both but in general lean towards the Alinco.

Having said that if the body was a little lackluster and maybe really light and did not have the low mid punch that it could use then I would lean towards ceramic.

7. IMHO, it's a mistake to make your choice based solely on the magnet type. Great pups and bad pups can be made with either. Besides that, there are different grades of magnets within each material class so you need to consider that if you want to make a judgement based on type. Manufacturing quality makes a big difference too - does the factory take the time to make sure the 'great design' is implemented repeatedly and close to the intended quality?

If you're particular about pups, you're better served by reading the manufacturer's write ups to see what kind of tone they're attempting provide, choosing a couple that are in line with what you want, then polling folks who've tried them to see how good they perform in 'the real world'.

8. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China