Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Change Neck Profile ?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mellassie, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Do people reduce the size of their bass neck by sanding it?

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Sanding would be the final step. Re-carving is done with rasps and/or spokeshaves, then scraped, and then generally fine sanded. It's important the neck be structurally sound--that is, it needs to be pretty stiff because thinning the neck weakens it. Applying a protective coating such as Tung oil is also important.

3. I've always wondered why there isn't more discussion about neck profiles on double basses. It's a pretty big issue in the electric bass and guitar world; I'd think it'd be even nore so with a bigger neck. I know I've played some basses that were nice instruments with bad feeling necks; the worst seem to be the ones with a deep sort of arched shape that's hard on the hand muscles and doesn't give a good 'platform' for the thumb. With technology like graphite reinforced necks, why aren't we seeing new improved shapes?

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I would think that you'd lose sound/tone on a DB. Composite necks in my experience have sounded dull and sterile on the guitars/basses I've played. And they're just planks as it is. I don't like them Modulus basses for example. I wouldn't want one on a DB if it's going to make it sound similarly.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    What he is talking about is inlaying CF "rods" inside of the neck, like a trussrod; quite a few BG builders and companies have been ding this for awhile. I know a Luthier [guitar] that uses CF rods under tension as a trussrod in his guitars, mando’s and ABGs. King uses a steel rod in their necks, you would think that CF would have a better effect on the sound being that it would lower the weight.

6. I think Lisa Gass has experimented with carbon fiber reinforcement in DB necks. I have not tried any though.

Regarding profile, too small a neck can be as uncomfortable as one that is too deep. My Kay for example. Kay necks are small to begin with and this one seems to have been thinned at some point. It makes my hand too flat.