1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Changing what my spector volume knobs do

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by centrefold, May 14, 2011.

1. Hey everyone I'm still new to the intricacies of electronics of basses and had a question for everyone!

I'm in the process of buying a new spector 5 string but am worried on how I will do something live. I recorded with a bass with a single volume knob and do a roll with the volume. The spector bass I'm looking at has 2 volume controls and this "roll" of volume into the note is going to be a pain in the butt.

Is it possible to have my guitar changed up so I have a single volume knob and then also a fader between front and rear pickups? I'd enjoy that more. If not any suggestions? I'd rather not get a pedal that is like a gateway for volume as I think it would be expensive and kinda annoying. I do want the ability to roll off volume between songs.

ps - here is the link to the song if you would like to check it out! (im happy with my bass work on it)

YouTube - Centrefold - Roses Fall

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Use only one pickup on this part ?

3. Sure.

4. can you elaborate just a little more man? hows it best done

I know I could use a single pickup at the one time, I'm just thinking about more of a long term solid thing. its a bit tough to then go back and turn up the other volume knob during the song etc..

5. There are only two ways to wire a blend pot. With and without grounds. It apparently works better without the grounds, but you can still hear a bit of the other pickup if you solo one of them.

6. yeldarb69 (Brad)

yeldarb69 (Brad) Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Or you could just add an an emg bqc pre amp and then you will only have one volume knob.

7. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    I'm selling my Spector Rebop 5 with EMG BQC electronics that has exactly what you're asking for with the blend plus sweepable mids !. 5 String Spector Rebop Bass .

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    well, maybe.

with a 250k ungrounded blend, you can hear a little noise if you tap on the "off" pickup with a metal object, but i don't hear it at all when playing the thing.

(to the OP) yes, it's a routine thing to wire up a bass with one volume and a blend knob instead of two volumes.