Cheap effective recording solution for my band's demo?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nitrous3a8, Dec 26, 2003.

1. nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    I am in a band that has 5 really good songs, and we want to record em so we can get our name and music out there

What do u think the best (AND CHEAPEST) way to record our stuff onto cds.

Do u think we should just hit up a studio thing, or is there a peice of equipment that we could that would be around the same price?

Please help me, Thanks , AAron
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This belongs in recording gear and equipment, as you are asking what the best way to cheaply and easily create a demo is.

I'll move it there now.
  3. do what I did - if you have a computer you can get ProTools (or Cakewalk w/a good soundcard) and some microphones...then you can record again, even record somebody else. Otherwise, there are probably a lot of smaller studios in your area that could do it cheap...for a few hundred dollars even.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Unless you plan to record a lot, you will save both money and trouble by buying studio time.
  5. i'm with pete on this one, if you have a decent computer, get a recording sound card, i have an echo mia, which works awesome for me, mic the amps and drums, send the mics to a mixing board, get some recording software, record away!
    good luck
  6. nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    i'll need it cause i have no idea *** i am doing, but i will figure it out, so thanks.

But i think for this first demo cd i am just going to pay for some recording time, prob be esaier
  7. If you are not or don't know an engineer I vote buy time. If you are a tech with a good PA system buy an old ADAT machine off Ebay. If the 5 songs are all you may ever record Studio time once again.
  8. nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    do u guys know a good web site or something where i can learn about where to start in reording and stuff like that?
  9. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA is a little easier to wade through than Prosound. Although I think most musicians should mess around with some home recording, you should keep in mind that there's just as much of a learning curve with that as learning to play. It will take some time for you to be able to make recordings that you'll like, but it's a valuable skill to learn.

There's a ton of cheap digital thingies available that are pretty easy to use. Perosnally, I think that a background in analog recording is useful, but maybe that's more involved than you want to get.

Also, you can learn plenty by paying someone experienced to record your band. There are plenty of less expensive studios out there.
  10. n8g14

Apr 1, 2003
    i'm in a band that's in the same situation as nitrous3a8, except we decided to do our own recording. one question though, if we buy a mixer can we run that directly into the computer and record multiple tracks at once, or do we need some other equipment to incorporate a mixer?
  11. You will need a couple of things. 1st you would be best served to have a mixer that has direct channel outputs, it helps provide a cleaner signal path for each channel and gives you some more routing options.

Second thing you will need, to do multiple tracks at the same time is some form of sound card with multiple inputs. Most stock sound cards give you the ability to only record 2 channels at the same time.

The number of inputs you can use at the same time is directly related to the number of sound card inputs you have, and the money you are willing to spend. Some of the multi input cards can also be their own mixers and save you that cost.

Also the computer recording software you have will need to support multiple inputs but most applications (even cheap ones) will let you do that.
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Then effects, mics(good ones), maybe even decent pre amps.
  13. Check out

This site can be helpful for persons brand new to recording!

It's not as easy as just going out and making a purchase, you need to know what you SHOULD purchase and why.

Do some research if you are seriuos!

14. The microphones you need for recording yourself is pretty expensive stuff, right? Considering all the drum mics, singing mic and guitar mic.. Are there universal solutions that don't sound like crap?
  15. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I've found a moderately priced large diaphragm condenser works great for micing amps, vocals, and acoustic. MXL 660, I think is the model. Pretty cheap and sounds great to me for these applications.