Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheap fretless 4...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, May 28, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    suggestions?

I'm running low on money right and i want to start playing fretless(unlined)...

2. Unlined is harder to find when it comes to cheap fretless basses

I'd recomend a Carvin kit to you. If you follow the instructions, you'll be spending 350 dollars on a bass that plays like a million bucks

3. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    yea the carvin kits look really nice

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's actually very untrue. Unlined basses are ALL over the place, because it's more effort for the manufacturer to put in lines ;). When I went looking for a cheap fretless, I was looking for a lined and that narrowed down my choices very significantly.

Those Brice fretlesses are nice quality. You could also check out the Warwick Rockbass fretlesses, too. Carvin kits are fine, but I'm not a fan of the body shapes or electronics, but those are both IMO and completely subjective.

6. I'll put my vote in for Dean...300 dollars - nice bass for the price. Yes, the fingerboard is rosewood, but it's beautiful. I can't seem to put mine down, even though my fretted basses cost me 3-4 times as much. It's also very light (and thus very resonant) - between 7 and 8 pounds. Here's a couple of pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I had an unlined Dean Edge 5 that's in my avatar. Fantastic bass. I've replaced it with a 6 string from Rondo because I wanted the high "C" for chords. That's a good bass, too, but not as good as the Dean.

9. try the yamaha rbx270 fretless. it not a bad bass for the price

10. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    The Dean is sexy, I'd go with that one.

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I recently placed an order with Carvin for a fretless, but because of some $$ consideration, I decided to go with something alittle cheaper. I realized I wouldn't play fretless as much and can't justify spending $1000+ on one. I was considering Dean, but I've only played the older passive's. How is the electronics on an active Dean fretless?

12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Wow that dean sure is good looking!

I might jump into that one, it would cost me about 500$ sine i live in sweden and probably will buy it from germany..

also, i have never played a fretless... i dont know if will get a chance to try one either, no good music shops around sorry...

13. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't know. Mine was passive and I loved the sound of it. I only ever tried a fretted Dean Edge with the active EQ and I did not like it at all compared to my passive one. Very "brittle" sounding.

If you're not completely averse to lines, there's lots to choose from at www.rondomusic.com .

14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've been looking at Rondo but only the Brice basses interest me, and unfortunately, the only righty handed fretless they have is the natural 6..still tempting though *lol* :)

15. I'm intrested in playing a fretless as well, but my $$ -situation is not at it's peak right now, and I want to buy a good fretted one before I buy a fretless. I have a fretted Squier J-Bass and I thought that I could de-fret it once I get a new fretted one, but not entirely sure how to do it, so we'll see how that project ends up..

16. The Dean's pickups are still passive (if I'm not messing this up), but the preamp is active (9 volt). I'm actually impressed - mine is whisper quiet..no pot noise...records wonderfully (sound clips are in the "let's hear your fretless" thread in this forum)

Controls are volume, pan, bass boost/cut, and treble boost/cut. Very wide range of tones - listen to the clip of "gel" on the other thread...I was able to dial in a complete classic rock tone vice the more jazzy fretless tone I use playing gypsy jazz.

Hope this helps.

Jay

17. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Wow, i really like how the dean bass sounds!!

But now i have to make a desicion, a new amp(i really need one) or a fretless bass..

18. if you want real bang for ur buck get a vintage V940B ,great basses fretless or fretted for only 229quid , they got a best buy in a grouptest in what guitar??? a few months bk

19. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I dont think i can buy these in sweden.. the same with rondo

20. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think you can get Deans in Sweeden though. :)