Cheap Fretless J-Basses? [RESOLVED]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by COLDGLU, Jan 26, 2017.

1. COLDGLU

COLDGLU

Aug 29, 2016
    I'm considering buying this cheap, battered Fender Aerodyne bass I've seen on eBay and taking it to a luthier to defret it. I already have an Aerodyne and I love that kinda model because of the fast neck, matching headstock and the general lightness, and thinness of the model itself.

But now, I'm considering just buying a j-bass which is already fretless (and similar to the Aerodyne), but specifically under £500 ($630)?

I'm not interested in any Jaco copies by the way.

Cheers!~

EDIT: I have decided to modify my Modern Player jag bass (strip it's body, to give it a natural finish and add more switches to it, so it resembles a more up-market jag bass), instead of buying an old bass to get it defretted.

I know that's completely different to my original plan, but for some reason, things have went that way.

I'll get a fretless bass soon, as I'll settle for any good looking/feeling jazz bass in my price range.

Thanks for all your replies!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What's a super J bass?

3. COLDGLU

COLDGLU

Aug 29, 2016
    It's a thinner model of the jazz bass, with a solid bodied arch top and a "fast" neck.
    The kinda basses Bacchus and Atelier Z make.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sire V7 fretless meets your criteria.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I don't think you would be able to find a used Jaco Artist bass for that price even if you wanted one. What about a Squier VM or a Vintage fretless? Both are cheap options and are not signature basses. Mind you, you do get what you pay for with fretless basses so expect issues with cheap fretless basses. It is more difficult to make a great playing fretless bass than fretted. If you have a good luthier and you really love your Aerodyne then I would consider getting it de-fretted. That would be the cheapest option and likely leave you with the best player.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021