Cheap PC recording...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bobito, Mar 26, 2005.

1. I have a new HP computer and a very basic bass setup consisting of a bass and amp. Now I am interested in hooking up to my computer so that I can record some riffs instead of always writing them down. I dont need to do any mixing or anything, and I obviously have no experience in recording. So whats an inexpensive way to get my music on my computer? I'm sure there's some kind of adaptor you can plug into...any solutions?
  2. thanks, that was helpful. but Im still not entirely sure about how to connect to the computer. The bass connects to the line out of the amp...and then what?
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

You plug the bass into the normal amp input. And then the line out from your amp goes to a line in on your soundcard, assuming it has one. What specific soundcard do you have? What audio recording software?

A lot of times, you need to convert a 1/4 inch jack to a 1/8 incher to get input to the card. Many better cards already have 1/4 inch inputs though.
  4. I just have the stock soundcard that came with it, dont even know what it is. and yeah it looks like I will be needing a convertor. I don't have any recording software either (any recommendations for something easy to use?).
  5. spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i use Audacity to do the same exact thing. search for it in Yahoo or something and it should come up. download it: connect bass to amp to computer: hit record: rock out!
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    you can get the converters at radio shack for a couple of bucks. this method will be OK for getting ideas committed to disk, but will not sound so good overall.
  7. thanks, that's really all I need for now...something to get my ideas on the computer so i can remember them (i think it would be easier than tabbing out everything i come up with).