1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cheap Pedal Board Challenge (Just for Fun)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by noveltea93, Jun 15, 2018.

1. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    There's lots of post about finding the best pedal on a budget. I thought it might be a fun game to see what boards people can come up with for $100 or less. Here's the rules:

- The total value of all pedals must be equal to or less than $100.
    - We will assume that you already have something to mount pedals on or just don't care and would be willing to put stuff on the floor or use a 2x4. Same for patch cables.
    - You may include any type of pedal you deem necessary and any number of pedals.
    - Buying used is allowed so long as the used priced reflects the average going rate and not some spectacular steal.

Have fun!

GMC, BassikLee and 4StringAxe like this.
  2. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Assuming $ per £...
    Ebay Zoom MS-70CDR £40
    Ebay Joyo American Sound OD £25
    Ebay Behringer Ultra Octaver U0300 £19
    Ebay ENO EX EQ7 (7 band EQ) £21

I'm a little over £100 but it's close enough.

noveltea93 likes this.
  3. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    The DI isn't a pedal, so it doesn't count.
    $35 for the Pitchblack
    $40 for the LMB-3
    $25 for the American Sound

received_10156465680476528.jpeg

4. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    Nice! How has this setup treated you? I've been curious about the Joyo "Sound" pedals.

5. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    Works for me! Seems the Joyo "Sound" pedals will be big winners here. Can't go wrong with Zoom stuff either. Thanks for playing!

6. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    I've said before that they're too cheap to not give one a try. I really dig the American Sound. Great for a cleanish tube warmth, and mild to moderate aggression. I leave it on all the time and can't think of any dirt pedal I'd rather have in its place.

scuzzy and noveltea93 like this.
  7. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Eh, this ain’t fun. At least give is a budget that would make it fun! $100? If I’m gonna use pedals, I’d be using more than 2 or 3. That’s just me. Not to sound like a jerk. But $100 doesn’t make it fun for someone like me.

There are some great cheapies out there these days that’s for sure. I’d still need more than $100 to make it exciting.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Geez my patch cables alone cost more than $100 :)

9. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    Thanks for your comment. I picked the number solely out of curiosity and to see what interesting cheap pedals and ideas would be discovered. If I create a similar thread in the future I will be sure to expand the price range such that other people feel they can enjoy the game.

10. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    Yeah I didn't really expect people to make gigworthy boards that would cover every effect possible on this budget. Just a curiosity and novelty. Anyways, I hope your patch cables sound great and last for many years to come!

11. Cutting it close; I’ve got a board with just a Boss Blues driver and a Joyo American Sound currently under construction. It’s essentially my backup in case my amp goes down, or if I don’t want to take an amp to my buddies house.

I’d say I’m over budget in just pedals, even with the Blues driver being bought used. I definitely wouldn’t be able to fit a tuner on there, so I guess my clip on snark is my tuner.

12. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    Thanks for playing! I guess the Joyo American Sound is quickly becoming the frontrunner for best cheap pedal. How do you like the Blues Driver on bass? I actually have never tried one.

13. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    Alright here's what I came up with:

Behringer BLE400 Compressor ($24.99 on Amazon) > Joyo Ultimate Drive ($24.99 on eBay) > Hotone Octa ($39.99 at Sam Ash) > Behringer Acoustic DI ($9.99 at musicgoround or bass di for $17.99 on Reverb but that's a few dollars over).

14. Ronald Poe

Ronald Poe

Jan 22, 2015
    I don't have a American Sound yet but I do have a California Sound. While the American Sound is supposed to be a sim of Fender's amps, the California Sound is supposed to be a sim of a Mesa Boogie amp. The result is a great pedal that has a sweet distortion and is very well suited for Metal music. However putting the voice knob at 8 O'clock or lower and the drive around 11 O'Clock can give one a nice clean tone with a little grit. I personally love it.

I also have a CoolCat Drive (which I got used for $39 and enjoy) and a Boss CE-5 (which I got from a now closed guitar store for $42). The former is a nice bright drive. The latter is a cold chorus that I absolutely love as a "secret sauce" of sorts and use as my always on pedal. I put the three together and can get cool tones (trying for a Black Metal tone but not quite there yet) out of them.

noveltea93 likes this.
  15. My pedalboard is as cheap as it gets while still accomplishing everything I need it to do. I went over $100, but not much.

Zoom B1xon as my main effects, with a second Zoom unit (B1on) on a loop via an LS-2 that allows me to blend certain effects. Last in line is a TC Spectracomp (I like the tone better than the Zoom comps) before it heads to the amp.

All told, it’s close to $300, but gives me just about any effect I need.

Most practices lately I’ve just been running straight to the amp. Depends on how lazy I feel that day.

noveltea93 likes this.