Cheapest computer recording equipment

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    What is the most afforadable recording software program with sound card that I can plug in direct with a bass, guitar, mic and electronic drum set, record them sepratly and make a cd? something like audigy or like that is what im looking for nothing to special.I dont no anything about this and want something simple i can use to make demos with my band.
  2. Opcode's vision. Free.
    Only drawback is that you'll need an old Macintosh to run it on - but maybe you can get that free from a dumpster somewhere?!
    Old Macs never die ;)
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Or you can get a NEW mac, and Garageband comes with it. ;)

of course the cost of a new mac is a lot more than the free that garageband is :p

there is a PC program that is similar to Garageband, called traktion, it's $70 I think and is pretty full featured.

also there are free versions of pro tools and cubase and logic that might be worht checking out.
  5. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    there are a few "good" copies of software on Kazaa. There are a few working copies of cool edit running around there........
  6. get cakewalk guitar tracks off kazaa, i use it and its similar to cool edit except without all the effect gadgets and stuff.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Rather than getting a copy of Cakewalk illegally, just get some free software. Audacity I believe is available for the PC as well as the Mac. The Mac version works great for me.
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Does Audacity allow you to record multiple simultaneous tracks? I use it to take recordings of my gigs off MD, splitting them into tracks and fading over the applause at the end. What kind of hardware do you need to record separate tracks?

9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I don't know how far along Audacity has come but you could just download it since it's free and check it out.

Also, follow this link: --> &ms=1 <-- to get Sonic Foundry's free acid express program that allows multitrack editing. This will probably help you the most, especially if you're only bringing in one track at a time.

In order to record multiple tracks simultaneously, you will need to get new hardware that has multiple audio inputs (and preamps for your mics). One piece of hardware I'm looking at is the Edirol FA-101. It's pretty new so I haven't found a place with it in stock yet, but it looks to be a decent piece of kit. It's not cheap per se but it is < $1,000 for 10 inputs. You'll need a firewire/IEEE1394/iLink connection to use it though. Also it doesn't look like any software comes with it so you'll need to get multitrack audio recording software in order to use it.

Hope this helps.
  10. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got 1.2.1 of Audacity, which is the current version. I know it works well with multiple tracks but I was interested in how you were getting simultaneous inputs... it sounds like expensive hardware is the answer!

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    USB has low bandwidth, so the best I have seen for a USB audio interface is 4 tracks at once (tascam US-428); most do only 2.

Firewire has much more bandwidth so Firewire interfaces offer 8+ tracks at once. Most PCs don't come with FW (Macs have it built in), so you would probably need to add a FW card in addition to buying the audio interface.
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have the demo of traktion and I really like it. Very easy to learn how to use. I plan on buying it.