Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheapest Whammy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jackmurray, Nov 24, 2005.

1. I've been looking around for a whammy pedal but they all seem to expensive. Which is generally considered the cheapest model? Where's the cheapest place to get it (I live in Australia).

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Cheapest Whammy would either be the XP100 or the current model. Digitech Whammy's are expensive no matter what.

3. Wow, that was about the quickest reply I've ever had. Thanks.

4. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Listen to me: save the money for a WH-4...
    I've owned an XP-100 and it really sucks...

5. I just consulted my music store and they said they can't get any bass pedal but guitar pedals work fine for bass. Is this true?

6. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    That seems to be the general consensus.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bass Whammys are long discontinued and can be grabbed from time to time on eBay. I thought the current guitar model sucked for the most part, was a cool toy but I can't imagine it getting much use. The tracking was a bit delayed and it sounded kinda synthy. Not my bag of tricks.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The new Whammy works fine for bass but for the three octave down setting but I don't see a lot of rigs capable of reproducing sounds that low.

Page three of this thread has clips of a Whammy in Harmony and Pitch shifting mode.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208882&page=3&pp=20

Pricewise, I'm afraid that you'll be hard pressed to find one under $100 US (plus the attendant Oz premium).

9. Ocassionally you can find a used XP-100 on ebay for around $70 or higher. I got mine off ebay for $55 shipped about a year ago now. And it doesnt suck, although the only setting I use is the 1 Oct up one.

I dont like the WH4, I wouldnt even buy it used. Go with the WH2 or Bass Whammy. They have the same shape except the bass whammy is blue and the Whammy II is black. They have the same setings except the WH2 doesnt have the 5th/Oct up setting (which has been famous by TOOL's bass player, in the songs Disposition, Push-It and Eulogy), I'm not sure on what it has in place of it, though.

the WH2 I've seen go for $90-$250 while Ive seen the Bass Whammy go from $150-$400.

10. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually, it was Page Two :)

But for you people that have tried both the Whammy 4 and the Bass Whammy--it seems like some people hate the Bass Whammy and swear by the W4, and others are the complete opposite. Could anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

-Dash

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The one on page 2 is a simple application. The ones on page 3 actually incorporate the Whammy into simple riffs.

More on the W4 RI. Mine went out of cal and started giving me a slightly detuned output when it is on. The solution is to cut down the little rubber feet under the treadle. It gives the pedal more travel too :bassist: Aside from that I never had to cal it for any other reason.

12. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Just like the Bass Whammy... and I'm a Bass Whammy owner!

13. Consider the boss phase shifter PS-5 (I think) and an expression pedal as an option. More flexible - don't know about the price comparison though.

14. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    There is no specific "bass whammy" made anymore. I use the WH-4.

Great pedal.

15. WH-4. Is that a guitar whammy?

16. Sorry to bump this thread, but I had a thought.

Are there any bass multi-effects units that have a good whammy with it?

17. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    It can be used with bass or guitar, although when dialing down two ocatve down on the E string isn't very effective.

18. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    even if it was "effective" you'd need an AMAZING cabinet to reproduce a note 2 octaves down the E string!!!

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    If you're looking to get a Whammy! to play Justin Chancellor lines, do not feel like you must get the Bass Whammy like him. The Whammy IV has a setting pretty similar to the setting JC uses quite often. There are ways to get around using the Bass Whammy.

20. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Bass Whammy owners:
    opening the back cover of my BW I founded a little trigger (same as the ones in the EBS pedal, to make an example).
    It doesn't point on 12 o'clock, it was like 11 o'clock.
    Could I brake something by try to turn it into another direction?
    Bye!