Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheapo Pots?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Mar 10, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just bought a used Fender Powerstage 100 monitor. It's good and loud, but the pots are the worst I've ever felt. There is no nut attaching them to the chassis, they are just soldered to the circuit board and are so wobbly that I'm afraid to even pull the knob off the shaft so I can look inside. Short of replacing the pots, is there any way for me to get rid of the wobble? I've heard about Mesa using lots of hot glue, is this what they're doing with it, securing cheap components? Can I just dump a bunch of glue all around the bass of the pot?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Yes.

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    In defense of Mesa, I've owned a half dozen of their products and they don't use hot glue to mount components. They do use it (like a lot of mfrs do) to do things like glue two caps together so that they don't vibrate, or to add an extra level of insurance to a connector that might vibrate loose. You'll find this trick used in a lot of amps, not just Mesa's.

Nightbass

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It only helped a little. The plastic shaft still wiggles inside the casing. If I glued that, it wouldn't turn at all.