Chevy Truck Owners

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jeff K, Feb 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm hoping to get some opinions from any of you who have experience with the EcoTec3 4.3L V6 and the 5.3L EcoTec3 V8. I've looked at the stats (HP, torque, etc.), but I'm curious to hear from people who have them.

I've been driving a 2007 Ford F-150 4X4 5.4 liter V-8, and thinking of trading it in. Leaning toward Chevy because I've found a few pretty good deals locally. Kind of have my choices narrowed down (best deals I can find) to these:

New 2017 Z-71 with the 5.3 V-8
    New 2017 Z-71 with the 4.3 V-6
    New 2018 4X4 with the 5.3 V-8

Normally, it would be a no-brainer to go with one of the 5.3 V-8's. The gas mileage is almost the same. I think the V-6 is only rated 1 or 2 MPG better than the V-8.

But the V-6 is loaded with more features (ie., heated leather seats, etc., which my wife actually cares about more than I). Also I do NOT do a lot of towing. Rarely, actually; but I like having the 4-wheel drive for winter, and occasional jaunts through fields, etc.. Also, there's a possibility that I might end up moving back to PA at some point, where I'd definitely want 4-wheel drive. So I'm not overly concerned about the towing, since most of that would be towing a flat trailer with sod or the occasional U-Haul.

I'm 67, so I'm hoping this might be the last truck I'll ever buy. So I'm wondering whether the 4.3 V-6 is as reliable as the V-8. This particular V-6 has only been available since 2014.

Anyway, I welcome hearing some opinions on those with actual experience with them. Thanks!

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Paging @malthumb , since he was probably the guy behind the engineering board for these engines.

I've driven both the V6 & V8 1500 trucks and been impressed at the power of the V6. For ordinary everyday use, the 4.3 would likely be adequate.

Myself, I'd pop for the V8 every time. Fuel mileage aside (and there's not that big a difference anyway) I'd rather have the two extra cylinders and 60 more cubes for when I do need it. The 5.3 has been around since 99 and is a proven engine.

3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning also. I WANT to feel good about the V-6, but just can't bring myself to do so. Just doesn't seem right in a full-size pickup. So I'll probably opt for the 5.3.

I appreciate your input. Thanks...

Mike N likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2021