Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chicago luthier advice needed

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by tony-moore, May 27, 2005.

1. A young relative (age 10) is interested in playing bass. Can anyone recommend a good and reasonable luthier in Chicago? Particularly on that stocks student instruments?

Thanks!

Tony
    tony-moore@juno.com

2. Talk to David Briggs at Quinlan & Fabish. I got a good deal on a Christopher there, and David is a good luthier who will make sure the bass plays right.

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
  4. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    I'd recommend Steve Reinfranck in Evanston http://www.thebluestudio.com/smr/

The Website is a bit out of date, but the number is good. I bought my Bass from him back in September. He's fabulous to work with and stocks some nice instruments, including some smaller student basses.

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Cast my vote for Mark Sonksen. He is a pro bassist, good luthier, and honest dealer. Hard to find all in one person!

6. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Add Classic Contrabass to the list, and I think you have them all. Chicago is a good town for bassists, lots of skill floating around there.

7. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    I'll put a shout in for Mark Sonksen as well - he did a lot of work on my bass and did a fantastic job. He's a really nice guy and great to deal with. Give him a call!

8. Although I haven't met him, I've heard great things about Scott Henrie, but I don't know if he carries student instruments.

Steve Reinfranck was my teacher for a few years, and he has to be one of the nicest guys I've ever met. I also know he carries student basses, and he'll give you a good deal on it too. However, I don't think he sets up basses. I believe he sent the basses he was dealing to Scott Henrie to be set up and appraised.

I have limited experience with Michele Fiori at Classic Contrabass, but I checked out what she had in stock once, and she knew what she was talking about.

9. Count me in for Mark.

10. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I just met Mark at the show and I overheard Ahnold say "doesn't it piss off your customers that you play better than them?" Mark is a really nice guy and plenty funny!