1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chip Touch-Up - Sealer

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lefty007, Apr 21, 2006.

1. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I got a 1/4"-long paint chip in the heel of my Fender bass, around the neck. I have seen this quite often, when the neck pocket is too tight and the finish too thick - after the bass is assembled, the finish cracks and/or chips.

Awhile ago I read somewhere that Roger Sadowsky applies some kind of liquid (glue, epoxy, lacquer?) to seal this type of chips to prevent them from getting larger and exposing the wood.

Does anybody know what to apply in this case?

StewMac sells a whole repair kit, but I just need a couple of drops of a sealer...

Thanks.

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Fingernail polish is a pretty good grade of laquer and is available in almost every color of the rainbow. Can also be mixed to come up with really off the wall colors if needed. Great for a quick fix.

The brush marks will flow out pretty smooth if you don't try to cover bare wood with one coat. A few thin coats is preferable to one or two thick coats. For a really nice job, a few minutes with rubbing compound, after the polish dries, can produce an invisible repair.

Laquer sticks applied with a hot knife can produce invisible touch ups.

Kits are available at Stew Mac but it's more cost effective to find a furniture repair shop that offers dent and chip repair. Much lower labor rates than typical instrument repair shops.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Thank you much for your reply. :smug:

4. I know someone that uses Superglue. works well for small repairs...