1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chipped two front teeth really bad

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i just woke up at 2 am an hour ago to really bad chipped front teeth. I had bonding work done back in 1995 and i've had minor chips here and there. I just recently had a retainer modifyed so i wouldn't have to worry about lockjaw. at the same time i stopped using(under supervision of the dentist) the retainer on the top teeth that was used to prevent chipping. He said that the lower one with the bar in place could both prevent the teeth from chipping and keep both jaws in a relaxed position so i don't get the jaw popping.

Do i demand money off of a total re-bonding of my teeth?

my dad is a dentist also but he only does root canals. his friend out in california did my original bonding and i could probably fly out there on a whim($600 emergency flight) and have it done for free(except for the flight)but im afraid to ask for that big of a favor.

what should i do?

2. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    the dentist in california made the original mods to the retainer and the dentist here in minneapolis fixed it when it broke. he made it bigger when that happened. I think the problem occured when the dentist here made it bigger. so thats why i think he's to blame

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Pictures?

4. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    honestly i don't want to post them its that bad. i probably wont go into work tomorrow just because of the humiliation

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Best get it sorted quick then! Looks like your girl will be waiting a bit longer for that ring!

6. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    you always know the best thing to say :meh:

7. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Your dad's dentist friend?

Just cuz he's your dad's friend, doesn't make him a good dentist.

Time to ask around for a better dentist.

8. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Wow..you must really grind your teeth! I think the best option at this point is to have full crowns done on those teeth.

9. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    all the dentist are telling me i need a consultation. geez i really don't want to look like a freak for a week. its weird to chew food at this point. bonding looks like it is $200/tooth and veneers are $900/tooth. man, im in the wrong buisness

10. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Let me preface this by saying I'm not a dentist, but I was a dental assistant a while back.
    I suspect you're grinding your teeth and I think bonding a veneers are just going to end up shearing right off again. It's hard as heck to chip a crown and I think that would be your best bet. Your dad would have a better opinion than mine.

11. I broke both my front teeth off at the mid point in 1976. A freak farming accident that also broke my lower and upper jaw, by sinus cavity, my nose, and right eye socket.

My teeth were repaired back then with a light cured plastic resin. That lasted until 1982. The Navy fixed them again with the same thing. That lasted until 1990. The Navy fixed them again with some other technique that last until 2002. they were fixed again that year and are still fine.

Bottom line - I don't think that front teeth can be fixed permanently. If you got 12 years out of yours you got your money's worth.

12. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    my ex wife had chipped half of her front tooth off during a drunken fall into a window sill .. half the tooth was gone ...

called around .. everybody wanted consults but we did find one who did the consult and the fix the same day ... they did bonding .. it held in place fine

13. bluenude

bluenude

Mar 1, 2008
    If you are grinding and wearing your teeth it generally means that your bite is "off". People with poorly fitting teeth will go through lots of crowns and bonding procedures because the teeth no longer fit properly. Ill fitting teeth can result from any number of causes-sometimes dentistry doesn't fit, accidents, braces or whatever. Google OBI dentist for information and philosophy of dentistry that seeks to restore the mouth to a natural position. Its complicated and technical- i know because i'm four months into stabilizing my jaw. Now my jaw relaxes and i don't need to grind at night because my teeth know where they fit. (mine was caused by crowned molars which ultimately caused my front teeth to chip) It's expensive and time consuming but lasts a lifetime.
    goodluck