1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Choices! Choices! Multi FX...kind of!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lloyd80, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Lloyd80

Lloyd80

Jan 14, 2021
    Hi all,

New member here! Just looking for some advice. I have been playing for around 6 months. Took up bass as apparently playing the drums in a terraced house annoys the neighbours and I needed to get my music fix!!!

So have been dabbling with pedals in the last few months and currently have;

Xvive bass squeezer

Arion MEQ-2

Behringer bass overdrive

But, being a drummer and a simple soul, I have been looking to simplify things even further.

So after a bit of research and youtube vids. This is the current short list of 4 possibles.

Fender Downtown Express
    EHX Battalion
    Valeton Dapper Bass
    SONICAKE Bass Preamp DI Box

So indeed of advice and personal experiences of the 4 pedals above.

I play most music, rock, metal, funk, pop, Motown, soul, blues. I have a very eclectic taste.

I know I'm asking alot from one pedal. But for the sound I like. I dont need lots of heavy effects.

Compression, overdrive and an eq are my go to.

So what are your thoughts?

2. Welcome to TB!

No experience with any of those pedals, but if your go-to pedals are already sorted... so maybe hold off on further purchases 'til a bonafide need arises.

Nonetheless, TB is all about enabling GAS (often), so I'll say draw up a list, keeping your specific needs in mind, of 4 pros and 4 cons for each of the four you've short-listed to narrow down your druthers.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had a Downtown Express. Worked very well, very simple controls so easy to dial in, and sounded very good.

No experience with the others, however.

4. Lloyd80

Lloyd80

Jan 14, 2021
    Thanks Feral! I like my compressor, but the EQ isnt for me. The OD is pretty good. But I would prefer a warmer tone. It sounds a bit too digital.
    Having a preamp that comes with both a compression and OD would be ideal. Also gives me an xlr for FOH.

5. Lloyd80

Lloyd80

Jan 14, 2021
    Sorry Ryan, just a few Qs, did you gig with it? Why did you sell it? What didnt you like about it?

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021