Choosing a "good" combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Craig Watson, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Guest

Jan 23, 2004
    Witham, Essex, UK
    I'm wondering if anybody could help me with a bit of a problem: choosing my next amp. My current (and only) amp is a 35W Hohner Force. I've had it since I got my first bass back in 2000, and I'm now thinking of buying something a bit more substantial. I'm thinking of something in the 100-150W range, with a graphic EQ. I've already looked around at the big names (Marshall, Peavey, Ashdown etc), and picked out the Marshall BassState B150, and the Peavey TNT and TKO. The only absolute "must have" is a graphic EQ, as I want to play a variety of styles and have maximum tone control. The B150 would be perfect, but a bit pricey.

My price range is (like most 16 year-olds) fairly limited, but I'm willing to pay anything upto 450GBP. Any suggestions will be welcome!

P.S> Goes without saying that I'm looking for a combo! :)
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have the Peavey TNT 115BW, and i swear by it. Its as solid as any amp can come, and has withstood numberous falls and it fun to ride down the guitarists driveway :D
    anyway the graphic EQ is great, the built in chorus sounds a bit like a watery delay if not used properly though. It has alot of low-end as most 15 inchers do, but get the EQ right and it sounds great. The built in punch and high buttons are cool aswell, adding a few extra db to your tone. hope that helps!
  3. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    On the budget you are looking at, I second the Peavey idea only if you can afford it go for the combo 115. The difference between the two is only $100.00 new, it's a lot more bang for the buck! :meh:
    Peavey Combo 115
    Every Peavey amp starts with an idea and the desire to create the best possible product. Our collaboration with some of the world’s top bassists has resulted in exciting new features and what we feel is the most complete and versatile line of bass amplification available today. And Peavey bass enclosures feature a powerful sound in a number of versitile, rugged packages. Whether you’re in the studio or on the road, we’ve got a unit to let you sound your best.

200 Watts into 4 Ohms internal speaker
    300 Watts (2 Ohms) used with 4 Ohms external speaker
    DDT™ speaker protection with defeat switch
    Post-EQ effects loop with footswitch control
    Pre and post-gain controls
    7-band graphic EQ
    High and low shelving EQ controls
    Preamp output, power amp input
    Electronically balanced XLR with pre/post-EQ select switch and ground lift switch
    Tuned port enclosure
    Active crossover with high and low outputs
    Continuously variable crossover frequency 100 Hz to 1 kHz
    Buffered tuner send
    Active/passive input select switch
    Pop out casters included
    Two heavy duty spring handles with rubber cushions
    Bright and contour switches
    Cast alloy frame 15 inch speaker

Unpacked Weight: 100 lbs.
    Unpacked Width: 24.50 in.
    Unpacked Depth: 25.1250 in.
    Unpacked Height: 26.25 in.
    Packed Weight: 114 lbs.
    Packed Width: 28 in.
    Packed Depth: 21 in.
    Packed Height: 29.25 in.
  4. XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003

it sucks monkey *** it has horrable low end passage, to heavy for the power, and low wattage for the speaker size and wight (75 watt) go with the TNT or COMBO from Peavey.
  5. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Guest

Jan 23, 2004
    Witham, Essex, UK
    What's wrong with the TKO?? Thanks for the info guys!

One other question: is the Marshall worth the money?
  6. Save for an Ashdown Electric Blue.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The TKO sounds OK but at only 75 watts it's low powered. By comparison the TNT is 150 watts, the Combo 300 watts.

I have never been impressed with Marshall bass amps and here in the USA they have never been popular (are you in the UK?). I would get a Peavey over a Marshall.