1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chords during Beatles "Day Tripper" guitar solo

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ElectroVibe, May 4, 2018.

1. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I once read what these chords were, but the explanation of it ended with "you could just play B7 the whole time" so I followed that suggestion. Dangit, now I wish I had learned. But has anyone ever learned these chords? Here is an interesting early version. The chords in question start at 1:33 and go until 1:50 and then a few seconds more (in this version only). Unfortunately these chords sound slightly different than the final version.

There also used to be a video of the final version, but it cuts away right after John is seen playing a B7 (7th fret) followed by *possibly* an F#m7 (9th fret). That video is gone but here is one by a tribute band, and wouldn't you know, they cut away at precisely those chords (1:23), and cuts back precisely when he lands on the B7 again. But you can hear them as something other than just B7.

Thanks for any help.
    (I've included the alternate early version, followed by the tribute band playing the final version.)

2. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Sorry, but here is also the audio of the original final version which I didn't think was available. The guitar solo starts at 1:21.

3. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Starting at 1:21- there is a measure each of: B7...then Eadd6/B...B7...Eadd6/B...etc. thru 1:43. ("Eadd6" is the chord spelled E, G#, B, C#, in various configurations, always over a "B" in the Bass.) The "Aahhh" vocals are also following this structure, as well.
    That's what I hear there.
    Thanks.

biguglyman and Whousedtoplay like this.
  4. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Thanks. I will try that.

5. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Well, here are two very interesting guitar-lesson cover versions each showing 4 parts during the solo. Since I figured out the main solo by ear, I'm really interested in the other 3 parts during this section. I'm still not any closer to John's part though, at least from watching these.