Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chorus at octave.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Jan 21, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    This is probably an easy question. Is it possible to play a note then have the note played at an octave below or above what you played - ie. both the note you played and its octave? Is this possible with an ocataver and chorus, what pedals (effects) would be needed for this?
    Thanks

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, it's possible.

As you said, you need an octave pedal and a chorus pedal. Now, which chorus pedal and which octave pedal, that's another set of questions :)

3. If you can find an Akai UniBass it will play the octave above and it has a seperate out that you can add chorus (or any other effect) to the upper note. Octaver pedals usually synthasize an octave and 2 octaves below then note you play. Many multieffect units have decent octavers, chorus's and sometimes even harmonizers or pitch shifters that can do and octave up.

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    wait, it sounds like there's a slight possibility this person is asking if you can have the first note come out, *followed by* the octave note (i.e. not simultaneous)

sipper - please let us know if that's what you meant. Otherwise an octaver will take care of you, no chorus necessary.

5. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Yes I am asking if you can have the first note come out, *followed by* the octave note. However I want more of a chorused octave note so it sounds like an accompaniment (or an 8 string octaved bass when I want it).

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    well, an 8-string is close to simultaneous note-age, but perhaps with a very slight delay, so here's what you'd want to do.

(octave down)
    1. delay pedal with a dry out and effect out

2. octave and chorus pedals only inserted in the effect-out signal chain

3. remix with a loop merger, y-cable or otherwise, before sending to amp

and then adjust delay time to taste.

See how that'll do ya.

Also possible (for octave up only), use an akai Unibass to produce an octave up, then run its dry-out clean and its effect-out signal to a chorus, and then a delay with a "ducking" function or 0% dry blend