Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chorus Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pkeeg, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Any suggestions for a good chorus pedal to use with an active bass? Also any thoughts on EH Small Clone and Ibanez soundtank? Thanks.

2. Go for the small clone. im using mine with an active bass and it sounds amazing. Ive heard really good things about the danelectro cool cat chorus too. Mainly the old 18v one.

I tried the boss bass chorus, and it was really just horrible. Hard to get a nice sound out of it. Unless your after a type of 80s sound, stay away from it.

so my vote is the small clone.

3. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    TC SCF Chorus Pedal!!!!!

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I would recommend the Digitech Bass Multi-Chorus if you were looking to keep the price down, or the MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus, if you're willing to pay twice as much. Both are great units. The DT sounds more hi-fi and is very versatile, while the MXR is warmer and darker sounding. Both are better than a Small Clone, IMO. Good luck.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    A big thumbs up on the TC Electronics Chorus (if you can find one!)...

6. I really love my Small Clone, it just sounds like I feel a Chorus should. It can really makes the highs shimmer or provide full depth modulation. The latter does not lend itself that well to deep bass as it makes that a bit wobbly and undefined though. And while it is very simple it always manages to sound good and clear to me.
    Other chorus units didn't really convince me, the worst being by far the Digitech Muti-Chorus. It turned out cheesy 80's sounds at pretty much every setting. It was very lush and tame with no character. If that's what you're looking for then go for the Digitech. I would love to try a TC Electronics Chorus but while there's usually one or two on the 'bay here they usually catch outrageous prices.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use a Boss Bass chorus that I got for really cheap on ebay. It isnt bad (especially for tapping), though I havent heard any of these other pedals mentioned.

8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I love the boss chorus ensemble (CE-5), I was gonna get the small clone but I was afraid of it being a one trick pony...only having one knob kinda scares me lol. with the CE-5 I can get that really 80's tone or more subtle, modern chorus.

9. I would suggest getting the Boss CEB-3 as well. I love mine, but it isnt for everybody. I didn't really like the sound out of the Digitech one tho, sounded too computerized.

10. gotta love my ehx small clone...cant think of anything else good about it that no1 else has already said here...its just a great pedal

ive also used a boss ceb-3 and i really enjoyed that, but it definitely was lacking something (really SOUNDS digital)...my brother now uses it in his jazz ensemble and he enjoys the hell out of it

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My favorite chorus pedal for bass is the AnalogMan Clone Chorus with the Deep/Thick option.

Tom.

12. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'm going to second this suggestion. I have a Digitech Bass chorus and I really like the sound I get with my active bass.

13. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    Another vote for the Small Clone. It has a really rich sound. Not as versitle as the Boss though.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Rocktron Tsunami

15. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I recently acquired a Digitech Multichorus at a ridiculous price and in absolute mint condition. I had an EBS Unichorus before and sold it, but miss it a lot. I also had a BOSS Chorus CEB-3 and liked it too.

The Digitech Multichorus is doing a great job. Fat, versatile and with excellent Tone. I found the EBS to be really fat and the Flanger option is cool too. The BOSS CEB-3 is more hi-fi sounding and is excellent too.

16. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    +1

SB

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've just bought a chorus pedal, a Line6 Space Chorus...I'm just waiting for it to arrive! :bawl:

18. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

+1 I just got one. It's my second chorus pedal and it will be my last. Any one want to buy an Orion Chorus from the 1980's? It works great and wasn't used for about 15 years when I wasn't playing.

19. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    +1! The AnalogMan Clone Chorus (with Deep option) is now the only effect I ever use.
    Fantastic quality, true bypass. Awesome tone.

20. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...DLS chorus/vib...

~S~