Chorus pedals, what are they good for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mili, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    A VERY BAD PLACE!
    Hello my Bass friends
    I'm a little confused about applications of Chorus pedal. Everytime i hear the chorused bass tone i enjoy and love the modulation but i can't remember any song which you need chorus (except Jaco). I mean is there other applications except soloing and playing harmonics stuff? Is there any song which you can't play the Bassline without chorus pedal?
    Thank you all.

2. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    I'm the one a bit confused here, you can play any bassline without effects if you want, and it would still work to some extend, though it might sound better with.

Any effect is just a flavor added to the melodic and rhythmic foundation, not really absolutely vital as such, this is especially true for bass maybe.

This, along with several post punk songs from the 80's does have a pretty prominent and iconic application of bass chorus, where playing without it would just not be quite right, though you could still get the song done:

ppiluk and Mili like this.
  3. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    A VERY BAD PLACE!
    Nice example, thank you. I'll appreciate any other song in different genres especially blues, funk, jazz.

4. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    My guess is that you won't find a whole lot of blues songs with extensive use of chorus, if any, funk maybe, though usually it is envelope filters that shines here, jazz in all it's different shades I imagine there will be lots of examples, especially in more modern takes on the genre.

When that is said chorus is seldom used as a dominating effect on bass as in the case of Come as You Are with Nirvana for example but more as a subtle effect to add to the atmosphere of more ethereal parts.

As I said that is actually the case with by far the most use of effects in general, they are mainly used as means to add an extra layer to the tone and underline the mood of a specific line rather than being essential to anything.

Using effects is often about adding more or less subtle nuances to what you play, and using chorus is no different.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    ErnieD, wmmj and Mili like this.
  5. Off the top of my head - Girls Want to Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper), Wave Babies (Honeymoon Suite), Sweet Child of Mine (G&R), intro to The Trees (Rush) all have chorus on the bass. Cool effect which usually rears it's head in the higher notes of a bass (or that was how it was set).

Mili likes this.
  6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I play in churches. Often (not always) we’ll play a tune in our set where...it’s not a rockin’ tune, but a little...movement adds a little something to the vibe. I don’t use it as an obvious thing, it’s a subtle enhancement.

zapped777 and Mili like this.
  7. I play in church and out of all my pedals, the band likes my Boss DD-3 delay on a slight echo and my Keeley Bassist. i could get rid of the rest of them.

8. The Cure uses chorus to great effect (pun intended). I imagine it sounds great with fretless as well.

9. stambroker

stambroker Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    NYC
    Just about every bass part on Joy Division and New Order use an Electroharmonix Clone Theory chorus on it! Favorite representation of this is probably "Ceremony" or "Procession".

Like @mattbass6945 mentioned, Simon Gallup uses chorus & flanger on a ton of Cure songs, I really like what it adds to "A Forest".

Chorus is my favorite effect, and I also love to use it to just add some dynamics to my playing and add a bit more body. I find they work really well with octavers when you set the depth of the chorus lower than usual.

10. Chorus is a lot of fun, and the best one (EHX Bass Clone) is 67 dollars. Cheaper used. The MXR Bass chorus and Tech 21 Bass Chorus have over 6 players you can emulate in their instruction manuals. Maybe check those.

11. bassegg

bassegg

Oct 17, 2018
    Any thoughts on the Earthquaker Sea Machine on bass?

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA

13. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Diamond Halo Chorus:
    Juicy!
    Not cheap but worth every penny.

Diamond Bass Compressor~
    Tech 21 Tri-OD~
    Tech 21 GT-2~
    Diamond Halo Chorus~
    T.C. Electronic Ditto Looper~
    Tech 21 Sansamp Paradriver~

14. Diegombass

Diegombass

Sep 19, 2012
    Spain

ErnieD, Bassist30, Mili and 1 other person like this.
  15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005

They come in handy when you want to apply a chorus effect to your tone. :thumbsup:
    I personally use either A/DA pff or Fairfield shallow water to get there.
    Both seem to work well, whilst not being 'chorus' pedals.
    I like using a little bit when playing chords, mostly and its fantastic , paired with fuzz or OD, I think.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Chorus...tick.
    But pedal...?;)

17. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Chorus is a really classic studio effect, I guarantee you have heard it on a lot of classic albums without realizing. When dialed in right it doesn't have to be super pronounced or noticeable, more of a subtle stereo enhancement.

IMO mono chorus is very lacking for most stuff, while stereo chorus can seriously enhance almost any sound when used right.

Mili likes this.
  18. Diegombass

Diegombass

Sep 19, 2012
    Spain
    No idea, but it sounds great

ErnieD likes this.
  19. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm about the biggest Simon Gallup fan there is and don't here any chorus on "A Forest." Not on the album version anyway. Live he used to use chorus on every song.

20. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

absolutely nuthin'! :D

but i use some chorus on solos and a few lines/parts, now and then. don't need it...just like it.

cnltb and Mili like this.