1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chorus Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by F0URwordLETTER, Mar 10, 2008.

1. F0URwordLETTER

F0URwordLETTER

Oct 11, 2007
    Philly
    Hi everyone alright here the probelem i had two chorus pedals already the h20, and the boss bass chorus and both of them made the same weird noise like a robotic sound does anyone have any advice or what the problem could be.

thanks <><

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Was it a steady "swooshing" noise? If so, that's common to many choruses. Otherwise, if it was a beeping, whining, clanking, "Danger Will Robinson", or any other sort of robotic noise, then maybe you are using the wrong sort of power supply.

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    :D

4. F0URwordLETTER

F0URwordLETTER

Oct 11, 2007
    Philly
    Well i am going to try just a battery but i use the 1 spot for both of the pedals and they both sounded weird

5. F0URwordLETTER

F0URwordLETTER

Oct 11, 2007
    Philly
    i tried a differnt 1 spot and it work fine so it was my 1 spot that was messed up thanks for the help !!
    <><

6. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I also have this noise that sounds like a chirp coming from my amp when my chorus is on.

7. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    That could be due to pickup microphonics. I can get bird chirping sounds out of a flanger and a distortion with a cranked amp.

8. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    What are pickup microphonics?

9. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Taken from some website somewhere:

"A microphonic pickup in most cases is where some of the windings are loose and they vibrate or move when using the guitar. This makes the pickup act like a microphone to where vibrations are acoustically picked up causing the pickup to squeal when the amp is turned up loud. It can be so bad that you can talk in the pickup and hear your voice come out of the amp. This effect is undesirable and can in most cases be cured by saturating the coils with wax."

Certain modulation pedals, wah pedals in the higher end of their sweep, and overdrive/distortion pedals are some things that can cause a microphonic pickup to act up, at least in my experience. Cheaper pickups are more likely to have microphonic problems in my experience.