Chorus sound-strings or setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by badgrandad, Aug 18, 2005.

1. I have (as other TBers) a new set of Elixer strings on my bass for the free trial, and I noticed when I was at the recording studio that when I listen critically through the headphones (as opposed to on stage) I hear a choruslike over-tone on my B, E and some Astring notes which get more pronounced as I go higher on the neck. I just spent an hour trying to adjust my intonation and even pickup height and I can't get rid of it or get my B or E strings to intonate properly. I am strung through the body, should I just go through the bridge on my lower strings? When I try to adjust the intonation on the B string the breakangle across the bridge is very steep where it comes out of the body. Any suggestions??

2. You are probably just hearing the overtones in a full-range listening rig. Many bass rigs roll off obove 4k or so and you don't hear as much of that detail. Now you listen to a direct track, or even a mic'd cab, and hear those overtones, which can sound chorus-like. It has nothing to do with the intonation, which is either right or not, but it won't "fix" that problem.

Good News: It will become less noticeable as the strings break in.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Free Elixir Trial? What?

4. I've heard a lot of comments about "break angle" over the bridge on the thicker strings...has to do with creating a false witness point in front of the bridge and throwing your intonation out.

So, yeah, give it a try going through the bridge to reduce this.
    After all, it is pretty easy to try.