Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chorus sound-strings or setup?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by badgrandad, Aug 18, 2005.

1. I have (as other TBers) a new set of Elixer strings on my bass for the free trial, and I noticed when I was at the recording studio that when I listen critically through the headphones (as opposed to on stage) I hear a choruslike over-tone on my B, E and some Astring notes which get more pronounced as I go higher on the neck. I just spent an hour trying to adjust my intonation and even pickup height and I can't get rid of it or get my B or E strings to intonate properly. I am strung through the body, should I just go through the bridge on my lower strings? When I try to adjust the intonation on the B string the breakangle across the bridge is very steep where it comes out of the body. Any suggestions??

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    You are probably just hearing the overtones in a full-range listening rig. Many bass rigs roll off obove 4k or so and you don't hear as much of that detail. Now you listen to a direct track, or even a mic'd cab, and hear those overtones, which can sound chorus-like. It has nothing to do with the intonation, which is either right or not, but it won't "fix" that problem.

Good News: It will become less noticeable as the strings break in.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Free Elixir Trial? What?

4. I've heard a lot of comments about "break angle" over the bridge on the thicker strings...has to do with creating a false witness point in front of the bridge and throwing your intonation out.

So, yeah, give it a try going through the bridge to reduce this.
    After all, it is pretty easy to try.