1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chris Squire

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 57pbass, Jul 15, 2012.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I saw Yes last night for the first time. I really enjoyed the show. They sounded like Yes...meaning the overall sound in the theater had that classic Yes sound...the Rickenbacker bass sound was so present in the mix...on a few songs I actually thought to myself that they could use a bass player since the low frequencies were missing....the keyboard player had nine keyboards...the drummer had approximately 20 drums in his kit...he was completely surrounded by them. Steve Howe played through a small combo amp. The singer sounded like the original guy...he had a pretty amazing voice and they did many songs with three part harmonies...Chris Squire's amp consisted of 2 x 15, an 8 x 10 SVT cab, a Marshall 4 x 12 and two wedges that sat on top of his cabs...it sounded amazing. I did not see the power source that was driving these cabs...I cannot name the songs they played but they did Wonderous Stories and Roundabout..all others I don't know. They played for 2 hours 15 minutes....a very musical show..these guys are so talented and the songs are long and have so many parts. I was really impressed with Chris Squire ...

2. Good for you. This isn't facebook

3. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    I'm sure many of us are confused by your comment. Care to clarify what you mean? This IS a bass forum and I'm sure that many of us are interested about the topic at hand, as Yes is a very bass-centric band.

4. GtenderG

GtenderG

Feb 29, 2008
    Glad you enjoyed your 1st Yes show. I am a big Chris Squire fan. I think I've told this story here but, my 1st Yes show was in 1978, in the round at the Spectrum in Philadephia. At one point of the show a red spotlight light one of the tuners on Squires Ric and reflected into my eyes. It was like that scene at the church in the Blues Brothers movie when Jake has a vision from god... I had been saving my money for a guitar but 2 days later I bought an electric bass from the local Sam Goody record store (records? What the hell are those?).

Thank you Chris Squire!

5. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    What a douche.

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    The first (of many) times I saw Yes was late '72 or early '73 at the Music Hall in Boston, a theater setting that Yes outfitted for quadraphonic sound. They played virtually all of the Yes Album, Fragile, and Close to the Edge.

I've seen Squire many times, that one night his remains the greatest live performance I have ever seen.

7. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I'm confused not by your comments. I’m a huge CS fan and it’s cool to hear he is still killing it with the same gear not swayed to change all the time for some lame promotion or for some quick cash. Also cool to hear of a new CS fan, making fans at his age playing prog rock ain’t easy I would imagine. Was a vague topic but I appreciated it. Yes it’s not Fakebook it’s not as friendly here sometimes.

8. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Was totally thinking that but didn't want to say it. Thanks!

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Got to admit though, there is some amusement in the OP with "the guy... and.. the other guy..." But I guess it's a testament to Yes' revolving-door roster. I just realized reading it that I think of myself as a huge Yes fan and I don't know who's singing or playing keys for them any more. I saw them about three years ago when it was Oliver Wakeman and Benoit David, but they're out now, and then Geoff Downes was back... and then maybe he was gone again...or was he? I can't keep track.

To the OP, would you have recognized their classic 70s tracks? Were they playing a lot of new material or is it just that the Yes repertoire isn't too familiar to you? I did pick up Fly From Here but have only listened to it a couple times and probably wouldn't have recognized most of it live.

10. Uncle Snake

Uncle Snake

Jan 1, 2010
    vt
    This post is the equivalent of having a fork stuck in your penis. A few will think it's funny but most will think that it just should not have happened........ :scowl::scowl:

11. Thank god... What does the OP's post have to do with Facebook? BTW, Facebook blows!

12. joe vegas

joe vegas Supporting Member

roosevelt stadium, june '76... i can still see the red lasers periodically beaming across the crowd... a magnificent show, in a high-energy era of stadium rock.

57PBass, good post! great to hear they're still doing it with excellent chops and high commitment.

13. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Saw Yes three year ago and he had the same amp setup. His old Rose Morris Rick sounded terrible -- mostly clank and some low bottom but no punch. A newer black Rick sounded better, but the bass that sounded best that night was his Lakland P bass. I can't believe that the bass sound coming out the mains was what Squire hears onstage. Agreed that Benoit David does a wonderful job replacing Anderson.

14. Last nights setlist:

Yours Is No Disgrace
    Tempus Fugit
    I've Seen All Good People
    America
    Fly From Here Suite
    Steve Howe: Sketches Of Spain / Clap
    Wonderous Stories
    Into The Storm
    Heart Of The Sunrise
    Awaken
    Encore:
    Roundabout

15. I was there, and that was my first live YES also. It was a fantastic show. And IIRC, the opening act was The Eagles. Same tour? What a night! My roomie from college and I made the trek from Durham (UNH) and were totally blown away. The Eagles were really good, but YES brought down the house. Never forget that one. He's one of the primary reasons I play.

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    So Yes now has Chris Squire and Steve Howe, but NOT Jon Anderson?

Man, this group!

I saw them in the eighties with Trevor Raybin on guitar, and he was incredible. Was he incredible enough to make me not miss Steve Howe? Not quite, but close. Let's just say he was incredible in a different way. I thought of Trevor as more "Jazz," and Howe as more "Classical meets Country," in the way they applied their craft to Prog Rock.

I'd go see either lineup, but man; NO JON ANDERSON???

That is harsh.

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    :eyebrow:

18. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Mar 5, 2009
    The tone of the OP's um... OP made me think of my first YES show sooo long ago.

Afterword, I was somewhat speechless. You hear a recording & it sounds great, but you know they can overdub and do multiple takes.

But then you see them do this LIVE and it's so cool!

19. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Yes, same show! The Eagles were indeed the opening act and were very good.

We couldn't believe that Yes actually played what we heard on the albums live. The only disappointment was that I was really looking forward to seeing Bill Bruford and he had just been replaced by Alan White. White is great but I love Bruford's style; luckily I saw him soon afterward (in Boston) with King Crimson.

20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

CS was playing a white Rick.....it sounded great.
    He also came out later in the show with a three headed monster....three necks...