1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Christopher Hitchens Has Succumbed To Cancer.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sonicfrog, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Sad to report that we have lost one of the most dynamic voices of our generation. With the exception of being an ardent atheist, he was impossible to pin down and categorize as belonging to any one political movement or ideology. He truly called them as he saw them. Without question, he truly was his own man. He burned as bright as anyone I can recall in my lifetime, and now the flame is no more. I can’t say I always agreed with him, but he was one HELL of a writer! To be 1 / 1000th as good a writer as he was…

Here is the rest of my tribute.

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Very sad news. I loved watching how eloquently he debated his opponents.

A truly great speaker and author.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Now that truly is a loss :(

4. Sonicfrog

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    As I wrote on my blog, he gave me the one singular favorite line having anything to do with politics:

bholder likes this.
  5. Shanannigan

Shanannigan

Feb 25, 2011
    Ontario
    This is very sad news. Hitchens was a huge inspiration for me during a very hard time. I'll miss him.

6. Even as a Christian, I always respected his opinions and he always brought interesting/insightful things to the table. He will be missed. RIP.

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    quite a shame indeed. I've always respected Mr. Hitchens.

8. musicon197

musicon197

Dec 16, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga
    My many thanks and high praise to you for your moving send off to a man who truly embodies what it is for a human being to exist at the pinnacle of his own interest to live, participate and share in life as he did, which in and of itself defines him as a true master of his craft. This can be said of very few people at any point thriughout history to present day and you eloquently convey his character and significance. I appreciate learning of his passing from your words very much as opposed to the news blurbs I most assuredly would have loathed to endure as none will likely do his legacy justice as you have here. Thank you for this post.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    ^ Well said.

10. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

A truly great man and a personal hero of mine. I will miss him and his voice of reason. I'm very glad I had the opportunity to see him debate in person.

To Christopher Hitchens, I raise a glass of Johnnie Walker Black. Accept no substitutes.

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Very sad to hear that we have lost such an eloquent, intelligent man.

12. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

To paraphrase a quotation of his "the one constant is to be against totalitarianism either on the left or on the right"

My kind of thinker but many times my intellectual superior

13. Sonicfrog

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Thanks for bringing that quote. I'm going to use it for my blog tag line for the rest of the week.

14. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    RIP Hitch.

He was one of the few pundits/intellectuals/talking heads whom I actually really respected. He was so passionately true to his convictions, but it always seemed to me that he was also so intellectually honest that he would be able to change his feelings on a matter if he were presented enough evidence to the contrary.

He will definitely be missed.

15. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I'm very sorry to hear of the passing of Christopher Hitchens. His good sense and intelligence is very much needed in this world.

16. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    He will be sorely missed. It's a little early, so I'll raise a drink to him a little later in the day. Thank you, Mr. Hitchens, for the man that you were.

17. Spencerthegreat

Spencerthegreat

Nov 9, 2011
    Toronto
    Now whose gonna piss off the Religious people with Stephen Fry in tow. This is very sad news.

18. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    They may not admit to it but I bet a great many of them are breathing a sigh of relief today.

19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Darn. He was a brilliantly eloquent man with unwaveringly rational & defendable principles...god I will miss him!

(u see what I did there?)

20. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI

Couldn't agree more.