1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Christopher / Hora

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MichiBass, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Hello,

My name is Michi, I play electric bass for 6 years now, and I want to buy a double bass, mainly because I'm a jazz player (or learn to be / play jazz), and I'm looking for a good double bass.

I don't want to buy a cheap one, I want to buy a ~ 1000 -> 1500 Euros one and to keep it for the rest of my life...

I basically have two choices. Thomann ( http://www.thomann.de/de/kontrabaesse.html?sid=565ee8ae35998537d3edeaae00ba072b ) is the first one and Hora Reghin ( www.hora.ro ). I live in Romania, by the way.

I tend to buy the Christopher 103 / 203 ( Is it worth to pay 45 Euros more for the spruce top instead of maple top? )
    Or should I better buy the cheap Thomann ones? (400 Euros with bow, gig bag and rosin)
    Or should I look for a Hora one? Are the cheap ones better then the Christopher ones?

I guess you guys here know better.

Any help is appreciated!

Michi

2. Bump?

3. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Dear friend avoid by all means the cheap Thommanns. They are poorly constructed in China and they need a very thorough set up (and expencive as well) in order to be playable. You have the privilege to live in a bass producing country, so don't hesitate. Go to Renghin and visit not only the Hora facilities but also the Vasile Gliga company. You can find a huge variety of basses, in every price range. If you are not experienced to select the proper instrument have someone of your friends (with better experience) to assist you. In Renghin, as you know, almost everyone is involved in instrument making so you can find private workshops that produce decent instruments in affordable prices. I visited Renghin in the past and i found some very good basses in very tempting prices. Good luck.
    Mike

4. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Welcome here! A few thoughts...

If at all possible, try all of the basses in person, taking someone with you who plays well already. Avoid buying a bass without playing it, whenever possible.

Get a double bass teacher, hopefully from a local symphony. If you can find a symphonic player who is sympathetic to jazz, or even plays some jazz, even better. Even without that, a professional symphonic player (or somebody trained to be one) will be very likely to provide a solid technical foundation for later study of the instrument, in my opinion.

You might consider renting an instrument for awhile to see how you like playing double bass.

Consult with your teacher regarding instruments, vendors, luthiers, etc. to take the fullest advantage of local resources.

Don't forget to think of the costs/value of a good setup, strings, and bow, while thinking about money.

Read all of the "buying an instrument" discussions here:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43093

Enjoy; double bass is a beautiful thing.

5. Thanks for the tips. It is called REGHIN, by the way. My first (electric) bass was a Reghin, and it was pure crap. All guitars made by the Hora company are very bad... But the violins, cellos and double basses seem to be good.

6. I have a teacher who's one of the major double bass players (both classical and jazz) in Romania. He has to know what double basses are good.
    So he's my main choice now, not Thomann.

Thanks!