Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chromatic Scale

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jonasp, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Hey Guys...I joined the jazz band at school. The years before I played euphonium (baritone). But this year I decided to play bass guitar! Here is the deal. I can read the music fine, but I dont know the fretboard very well. I can find the note on the fretboard, but i have to stop and think about it.
    Im looking for a website or something that shows a 2 octave (the low E to the high E) E major (i think) chromatic scale, in a tablature form. this way i could learn the fretboard quicker and help me get going on my music faster.

Thanks for any respones, Pete

PS-> I was checking out some website and came across charts with dots on them that show a scale/chords. How do i read these???

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Major and chromatic are two different things. Chromatic is every note. You wouldnt need a chart for the chromatic scale because it is all of the notes!

To learn the notes start with the open strings E-A-D-G. Then know that the fifth fret is the same pitch as the next string down (ex. the fifth fret on the E string is A...) Now if you know that there are no sharps/flats between E/F and B/C then everything fits into place. Heres the notes on the strings for the first five frets of each string.

G - G#/Ab - A - A#/Bb - B - C...
    D - D#/Eb - E - F - F#/Gb - G...
    A - A#/Bb - B - C - C#/Db - D...
    E - F - F#/Gb - G - G#/Ab - A...

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The dots indicate notes that are to be played... typically this kind of chart will have four lines that represent the strings and the dots are placed where notes are played for a given scale or chord.

4. Cool...duh, i knew there were all the note in chromatic. silly me. Thanks you very much metron!

5. If you want to learn scales and through that learn the fretboard better I highly recomend surfing to guitar.com, click the "learning" ling and click on the scale generator. This generator will allow you to watch scales on a frettboardchart with the number of the fret and the name of the note. You may have to register do do this but it is totally free.

6. Thanks for the info leffe! I will check that website out!

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Do that stuff... But you should learn Chromatic Fantasy by Jaco ;):D