1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chrome trouble on Mac

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by David Jayne, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Hi there, running latest chrome release on a several year old iMac updated to Mavericks. Problem existed before update to Mavericks. Problem is Chrome will often stall, fail to download files(network error message) and often fails to load complete pages. Google maps fails to completely load(parts of map missing, menu functions missing etc.). Often won't fully load Gmail page or any other apps like Drive, won't attach files without multiple tries(attachment failed message).
    NOW, this all began when I got ATT Uverse. But other browsers work just fine on Uverse. ATT of course say's it's a Google problem. Scouring the web yielded nothing that actually worked. Any ideas?

2. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I don't think it's a problem with Google or ATT, I think it's a hardware issue. Your computer is too old to be running the newer software, it happens all the time, hence why older technology becomes obsolete. What are your Mac's specs? Hard drive, memory, processor, etc.

3. I'll tell you when I get home Friday but I failed to mention a very important detail: it runs PERFECTLY if I connect it to my phone's WiFi hotspot instead of ATT. So, hmmm.

4. In the PC world, we run at least three browsers: Chrome, Firefox, and (only because some sites are stupidly designed only for IE) Internet Destroyer.

Browsers break all the time. I suggest using more than one, and when one starts acting up, use another for a few weeks until updates occur. Not a great answer, but it's reality.

I suspect this isn't a Mac or PC thing, but given your report, a combination of network connection and browser.

5. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I guess there are likely some differences between Chrome for Mac and PC, but I've had absolutely no trouble with Chrome ever on my 8 month old HP Envy.

6. suckybassplaya

suckybassplaya

Jun 24, 2010
    Ok, so hold on. It works perfectly with your phone's wireless hotstop, but not on UVerse. But other browsers (I'm assuming you tried both Safari and Firefox, or just Safari?), work fine on UVerse. When using your phone as a hotspot, is the phone connected to the network via your wireless network (i.e., through UVerse), or is it on cellular data?

My first guess would be some sort of extension you have installed in Chrome might be messing things up, but that wouldn't explain why it works fine through your phone's network. Have you tried reinstalling Chrome? If I was having the problem, I would get something like App Cleaner (a free App uninstaller that finds all the cruft that apps use throughout your filesystem), uninstall Chrome and then re-install.

I can say that I have a rMBP from late 2012 and I use Chrome as my primary web browser, and I have not seen any issues like this.

7. I have a bunch of different kinds of Macs, some are newer, some older, that I use on a regular basis at home, for work, my synth rig, etc. NONE of them run Chrome very well. It got to be so frustrating I stopped using it and stick with Safari and Firefox. Opera is not bad either.

8. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I've only run Safari on Macs, but I've honestly never had a good experience with any third party software on them. The pre-loaded and Apple software usually works great, but I use them for stuff like Adobe Creative Cloud and I have never seen something glitch and lag so much. Crashes daily.

9. Yes, works fine on phone hotspot via cellular data. Very weird. Have NOT tried phone hotspot via Uverse WiFi, didn't know it was possible. I have checked for Chrome updates(none needed) and have uninstalled/reinstalled Chrome. Have done reset to Chrome defaults. Have reset WiFi modem, and even went in and selected a less congested WiFi channel. No change. Other browsers (Firefox and safari) work fine no matter what. I'd just use them but with a Gmail account and multiple calendars and extensive Drive use it's a pain. Its so convenient when it works and it worked fine before Uverse(I had ordinary ATT DSL previously, no trouble). So it seems Google and Uverse just don't get along, in my case. Very frustrating. What I haven't tried yet is to plug my mac directly into the router, because they're in separate rooms and I'd have to bring the mac downstairs to do it.

10. suckybassplaya

suckybassplaya

Jun 24, 2010
    So, if your phone is connected to your UVerse WiFi, then I would assume the hotspot would send your laptop's traffic through the UVerse connection. It would be interesting to see the results, but I don't know if would really tell us anything. It seems like the problem is isolated to just Chrome only on UVerse, which doesn't really make a lot of sense. Out of curiousity, do you have any 3rd party Chrome extensions installed?

Apparently a bunch of other people on this issues have had Chrome problems on Mac. I haven't had any problems in the two years I've had my MBP.

11. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Have you tried being one of those "too cool for school" kids and install Chromium, aka Chrome dev version minus the Google spybots?

fraublugher likes this.
  12. Never heard of that. No extensions.