1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DBTOYS, Sep 16, 2010.

1. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    i am going to order some chromes tomorrow and need to know what to get i have a 2010 classic stingray it has a 34" scale

i think that would be 45 to 100 medium scale right???

or would some thing else be better ??? in chromes

2. Muaguana

Muaguana

Jul 28, 2009
    34" would be long scale. Medium gauge would be .050 - .105. I don't think anyone can tell you what would be "better," since that depends on what you like in a set of strings. I use medium gauge chromes, myself, but that's just because the light gauge (.045 - .100) was too "mwah"-ey on my fretless.

3. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    I use Chromes 105-50 (med. ga) on my P-bass. They are stiffer than some of the other flats but that's what I like. Just a word of caution: at the P pup location the stiffness is a bit less than you will experience at the Stingray pup location. If you still want to try chromes the med ga has a more "full bodied" sound & a bit more output than the lite ga but the lites may be more "playable" for you if you prefer less tension.
    B.

4. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    Hmm, were you actually referring to scale length perhaps? If that Stingray has string thru body, you'll need the super long set of Chromes. With string thru bridge, Chromes in long scale just fit on a 34" scale bass. String thru body-super longs.

5. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I recently put Chromes on my Ray34. I got the 45-100's and I'm lovin' them, as these have substantially less tension than the 50-105's that I have on my P-bass.

6. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon

Classic StingRay 4
    Size:13-1/2" wide, 1-5/8" thick, 44-7/8" long (34.3 cm wide, 4.1 cm thick, 114.0 cm long)
    Weight:10lbs, 4 oz (4.65 kg) - varies slightly
    Body Wood:Ash
    Body Finish:High gloss polyester
    Body Colors:Standard Classic Colors
    Bridge:Music Man® chrome plated, hardened steel bridge plate with "Classic" stainless steel saddles and adjustable mute pads
    Pickguard:There are no pickguard options
    Scale Length:34" (86.4 cm)
    Neck Radius:7.5" (19.1 cm)
    Headstock Size:Only 8-1/4" (21.0 cm) long
    Frets:21 - High profile, narrow width
    Neck Width:1-5/8" (41.3 mm) at nut 2-1/2" (63.5 mm) at last fret
    Neck Wood:Choice of birdseye or flame maple neck
    Fingerboard:Fretted - maple or rosewood
    Neck Finish:High-gloss finish
    Neck Colors:Natural aged yellow finish
    Tuning Machines:Schaller BM, with tapered string posts
    Truss Rod:Adjustable - no component or string removal
    Neck Attachment:6 bolts - perfect alignment with no shifting
    Electronic Shielding:Chrome plated brass control cover
    Controls:Single Pickup, 2-band active preamp; vol, treble, bass
    Pickups:Standard - Music Man® humbucking with Alnico magnets
    Left Handed:No
    Strings:45w-65w-80w-100w (Super Slinky Bass #2834)

I just want to make sure i get the right ones!

7. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    x02_145858.jpg Length String Scale Required

Up to 32" D’Addario Short
    32” to 34” D’Addario Medium
    34” to 36” D’Addario Long
    36” to 38” D’Addario Super Long

Diameter Tension
    Item# Note inches mm lbs kg
    CB045M G .045 1.14 40.5 18.37
    CB065M D .065 1.65 46.1 20.91
    CB080M A .080 2.03 38.7 17.55
    CB100M E .100 2.54 34.0 15.42

i think these are the proper ones????

8. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    x02_145861.jpg

or these

9. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Hm..the E strings are to small on the Chrome sets. Try Roto77 flats. Much cooler strings imo

10. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    I got it now 34" scale is a long scale bass

i should know this i have been playing bass for 32 yrs

but i always had someone doing it for me before and now i want to do it myself other than a pro setup!

11. P. Bass

P. Bass

Mar 17, 2010
    Toronto
    You still haven't told us what your tension preference is. That's HUGE in us being able to help w/ this. Don't forget to adjust your pup ht to balance the out put of your new flats.
    B.

12. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    not sure on tension what would help a person decide that?????

13. Do you like your strings tight or loose?

14. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    medium tight!

15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Also, as said before, if you're bass strings through the body, you'll need to get the 'Super Longs' or the silk wrap on your string will sit in the nut... Both my MIA P and my '51 RI are string-thru 34" basses and they definitely need the super-longs... If your bridge loads through the top, the longs will be fine... I am unfamiliar with Musicman basses...

As for tension, I go back and forth between the two and don't notice that much of a difference... I think you'll find the light Chromes feel a bit like medium rounds as far as tension (they do to me anyway)

-robert

16. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I recently put Chromes on my Rickenbacker 4001 and I like the feel of them. The jury is still out whether their sound is what I'm looking for. The "lower tension" aspect of them is of questionable benefit in my opinion. It's a good product at a fair price - however, if you know you like flatwounds, go for Thomastik-Infeld.

17. bassdaddyfive

bassdaddyfive

Feb 12, 2009
    Kenosha Wi.
    A little help here. Is there a Chromes 5 string set that have a bridge taper on the low B. I know that the LaBella flats have it. Or is it a special order thing I would like to try a set, but the B string with a bridge taper is a deal breaker for me.

18. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    The .045 -- .100 is a good set to start out with. Not a ton of tension, but certainly not TIJF soft. Good balance in that set as well...... You'll probably think the E sounds bad at first, but play them in a bit and you'll see that they start to balance out a bit.

I've not had good luck through body stringing the Chromes. The flat windings cram into each other at break angles..... and the break going through body is pretty drastic. I developed some really weird overtones, especially on the D string, after a few months. Bought a new set and went top load..... no difference in tone, but without the funky overtones.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021