1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Citistrip

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BobWestbrook, May 13, 2010.

1. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I'm refinishing a Fender body that has thick poly, so I thought I'd give Citistrip a shot, rather than just sanding like I normally do. It does say on the label it works on polyurethane.

I applied it, waited a couple hours, and took a putty knife to it.

The poly only laughed at the Citistrip. Giggled, even.

No effect on the poly whatsoever.

Just thought I would pass that on to possibly save you some trouble.

2. lttoler

lttoler

Dec 14, 2005
    Georgia
    I love Citristrip but I only use it to get to the Poly sealer coat, which I usually leave on

3. I used the spray citristrip to pull nitro and acrylic lacquer off a body this weekend. It was so easy, I love this product.

But yeah I sprayed a poly body and left it for 24 hours and it didn't even soften the surface.

4. like somebody said poly is just a prefix: modern Fenders are polyester I think, and it is closer to fiberglass. Regular polyurethane like Minwax is more like varnish and will be removed by citristrip. 2 part polyurethane would laugh at citristrip also.