Class D Amp Cutting out on stage, Not at home when testing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by papasolly, Sep 27, 2018.

1. papasolly

papasolly

Jun 24, 2008
    I run a GK MB200 through a Barefaced OneTen, and recently, as it had happened before, I am getting a lot of random drops in volume or complete cuts in signal. It does it even when the volume isn't high. I checked the speaker connections, all my cables. On the last gig, fortunately, the guitarist was playing through a bass amp with 2 inputs, so I plugged into his amp. My whole signal chain was fine. I don't know if I'm pushing it too hard. I'm testing it by pushing it hard, and it's never cutting out. Or is it a bad power source? New Orleans is pretty notorious for having poorly wired electricity at venues. I don't know. And if I take it in, and the tech can't get it to act up, I'm not getting anywhere.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Try it with another cabinet (and possibly another speaker cable). There are some specific (and well known in the amp design world) conditions where an interaction between the crossover in the cabinet and the amp will cause the amp to protect itself from an illegal load.

Has it just started doing this?

Can you check to see if your tweeter might have failed (related to my comment above).

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Ensure good air circulation around the vents. You don’t want it overheating.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  4. papasolly

papasolly

Jun 24, 2008
    I tested it with my GK neo115 as well, and couldn’t replicate the problem. I have gig at 5, and I’m going to bring both speakers in case it acts up there. I’ll check it with different speakers and probably bring my solid state too as a back up in case it is in fact the amp.

I cranked it all the way up on each speaker at home and the worst I got was a little distortion.

5. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    No tweeter in a One10.

Did it drop out only in the one venue or others as well?

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  7. papasolly

papasolly

Jun 24, 2008
    It’s done it in different cenues, but, again, it’s New Orleans, where the electric is often times poorly set up.

8. papasolly

papasolly

Jun 24, 2008
    Not all venues, but different ones. One I’m about to go play at.

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    So the common factor for the problem seems to be the amp, and the NO power supply. If his amp is sensitive to power issues the you might have hit on the problem.

Can you try a different amp through your cabs?

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Possibly low mains voltage? Many modern amps have brownout protection.

sawzalot and Aqualung60 like this.
  11. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    If there's no tweeter or crossover, than my comments about that don't apply in this case.

12. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I had a similar issue with a Tech21 head, powering 2x 210AV cabs. Would get warmed up and then cut out intermittently. Because it happened with two different heads, I returned the second and went with a TH500. This would happen at home, at rehearsal, or on stage. *shrugs*

13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Dude, I was going to sell my 5 string the other day. As I was cleaning it up and playing it one last time, my volume cut about in half. Then back on again. Then out. Then I hit the bass, and it kicked on again. I figure it's a shirt in the preamp, so I called off the sale until I get it fixed. But, I'm thinking you might have a similar wiring problem.

Edit: "short," people! "Short!" Fer cryin out loud

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    Everybody plays harder once the band is rocking and your arms and hands loosen up. You need more power. Low powered class D amps just can't deliver in live performance, in my experience.

15. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Shirts can be sorted, but if you get knickers in a preamp it'll be one crisis after another!!

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Without troubleshooting, how do you know this is the OP's case? It may be, but just as likely not IME.

mbelue, pcake and Marty Forrer like this.
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Sounds like a supplied power issue. I gig a MB200. Have had no issues except for a cruise ship gig. They use a generator and the AC kept dipping below the required minimum. No issues anywhere else.

rafitoprtx, sawzalot and Al Kraft like this.
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Not in my case. The MB200 has plenty of power for my gigs and I don't even have the volume past noon. I also gig a Markbass Blackline 250. Plenty loud.

Al Kraft, StayLow and agedhorse like this.
  19. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Possibly clipping out. Depending upon your wattage. Might try microphoning your cabinet.

20. Happy Face

Happy Face Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Portland, Maine
    Interesting point the Ancient Steed mentioned about tweeters.