1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classic rockers - Help me with a Zepplin riff?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass player 48, Apr 1, 2009.

1. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    I’m working on learning The Ocean. I’ve got the verse and chorus and the basic arrangement down. I’m working on properly learning the walking bass part at the end, but I can fake it for now.

The part that is stumping me is after the walking bass part starts, there is a full band unison riff (or two) that comes up in that outro solo and happens several times in the outro.

Anybody know what I’m talking about? Can anybody explain how to play that riff?

Any help is very appreciated. Thanks Talkbass!

2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    You mean the riff that goes "bow-now, bow-now, bow-now-na-now..." ?

3. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Maryland Suburbs
    That's it man! ha ha! I was going through this in my head and scrolled down and that nails it!

How would you explain the octave opening riff in The Immigrant Song?

ba dow dow dow dee dow - ba dow dow dow dee dow

Good stuff man!

4. the_hook

the_hook

Apr 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Funny I'm learning the same song. The first parts were pretty simple to get, not necessarily to play since you have to go at a pretty good pace, but I understood them enough I was able to memorize them quickly.

I'm not sure I understand how you want to play the repetitive Outro Solo parts. Are you using tab? By ear? If by ear you'll know there are some notes held longer.

Its 4 bars each time, done 3x during the Outro, with a mix of eighth and quarter notes, a dotted quarter note, and a dotted half note.

5. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    Yes - The riff that goes: "bow-now, bow-now, bow-now-na-now..."

What notes are being played?

The hook: By ear. I can find the timing, I haven't found the right notes to play the unison part (that goes "bow-now, bow-now, bow-now-na-now..." )

6. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

I find strategically placed hyphens, upper case, and/or bolding really helps to convey rhythmic values.
    So: "ba Dow dow-dow dee dow, ba Dow dow-dow dee dow"

Ironic that this DogSpeak can convey more information than tabs!

7. MD

MD Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I haven't heard that song in many years, but in my head it's...

B A G F# E D B A
    B A G F# E D C D

Perhaps not those notes.

8. the_hook

the_hook

Apr 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Here's what I found and I've been using.

9. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    Thank you! That was quite helpfull.

Cool tune isn't it? It was fun to play with a band last week when I knew about 75% of the tune. This week it's going to be REAL fun to play.

10. the_hook

the_hook

Apr 9, 2008
    Toronto
    I'm glad it helped. I found a 1973 concert version of Zeppelin on youtube and they play it like only Zeppelin can:

Hard to miss JPJ belting out that very cool groove.