1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classic Van Halen recording – MYSTERY!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bass player 48, Apr 6, 2009.

1. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    So, I’m starting up a new “old man hobby cover band”. We’ve agreed to cover Running With the Devil by Van Halen.

So, I went through and mapped out the arrangement – and just to be nice, emailed it to the guitar player.

He came back and said that he agreed with everything – except - he had found the bridge to be after the 1st and 2nd chorus, and I said the bridge is after the 2nd and 3rd chorus.

Anyway, I’m pretty sure I’m right and I was really worried about his ability to hear the arrangement. BUT… Here’s where it gets good. He sent me the Youtube video for the version he was listening to. He’s not crazy – this version SOUNDS like the album version, BUT, it has that little guitar lead bridge thing after the 1st and 2nd choruses just like he said.

Here’s the link to the video:

This is not what was on my self titled Van Halen album. Where does this come from? Any ideas? I know it sounds trivial but this type of thing drives me nuts.

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

3. bass player 48

bass player 48

Nov 17, 2008
    Alvaro - Thanks so much for solving mystery. That's why I love this place!