Classical Guitar & Arco Bass Duets?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Lenny Nichols, Dec 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Lenny Nichols

Lenny Nichols Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Round Rock, Texas
    None
    I've been working on my reading and bowing skills seriously for about a year and a half. I'm ready to play some (simple) pieces with someone else. I have a friend that plays classical guitar. He's agreed to "play along" with me, but I need to pick the pieces. I'm not very familiar with classical music. Can someone suggest some guitar & bass duet pieces, that I can find the music for? I'd like to start with some things that aren't overly complex and then add some that are a little more difficult.

Thanks, Lenny

2. I can't think of, and couldn't find, any pieces for classical guitar and arco double bass. Instead I googled classical guitar and cello music. Just go up the octave on notes below bottom E.

Easy Classical Guitar and Cello Duets ,by Javier Marc, sounds good.

New Classics for Guitar and Cello, by Muriel Anderson

Best Wishes, DP

3. neilG

neilG

Jun 15, 2003
    Ventura, CA
    There are compositions for bass and guitar. None that I've seen are beginner pieces.
    Annette Kruisbrink has four pieces for this combination, here's one:

All her pieces are published and available.

Do a search on Youtube and you'll see others. Probably the most famous "classical" piece is the Suite for DB and Guitar by Alec Wilder, but it's super difficult. Gary Karr has a recording of it from way back. If you are persistent in searching, there's a small body of 20th century pieces.

Neil

4. Lenny Nichols

Lenny Nichols Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Round Rock, Texas
    None
    Thanks, David. I should have thought to look for Guitar and Cello pieces. And thanks, Neil. I'll check out the Dances. I'll listen to the Alec Wilder piece, but it sounds like it's beyond me for now.

Lenny

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021