1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Classical players using Eudoxa or Olives.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by THE SAW, Dec 17, 2011.

1. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Just wondering how many of us are out there. Also, since I can't find an extension wound gut, what metal string works the best for the low ext c.

Best, SAW out.

2. I use Eudoxa on bottom and Oliv on top. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it, even though the pitch on my Oliv D is super finicky. I don't think my nut or bridge grooves are quite large enough, so it's kind of a pain.

They actually work really well on my Chinese bass. I can play solos or excerpts equally well (I think!) Switching to these strings really helped my technique.

3. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    if you're willing to fork over the cash Pirastro will make a custom extended Eudoxa.

4. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    The problem is THAT LTTLE WHEEL at the extension, which I fear will shred a gut string.

While it is no problem to adjust grooves in the bridge and top nut, how the heck am I gonna get around (pardon the pun) that?

No, the bottom probably has to be metal, I've been using an original flat-chrome long E, A and D are Eudoxa, G is an olive.

I guess this thread should have been about the bottom metal string and which are the best to match gut A-D-G.

Any further ideas would be appreciated.

TNX, SAW

5. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    I desperately wanted to be in the Eudoxa club- hands down my favorite arco string, but I couldn't deal with strings falling apart- not at that price point. The last straw was a brand new A string that lasted about fifteen minutes. :bawl:
    I contacted the seller and was told "Yeah, they do that sometimes..." no offer for replacement or refund. :meh:
    DONE- Finished!

After that debacle I changed out everything but kept the Eudoxa E- (couldn't give her up!) that string must have been "made on a Wednesday" as it lasted more than a year before breaking in the afterlength. One of the guys I play with is a Registered Piano Technician- he actually "repaired" the string by tying some kind of crazy piano string knot into it! I was dubious, but it held for another six months after that and sounded great the whole time!

Moral of the story- great strings for classical- but I can't hang with them falling apart- ymmv.

The tuning instability was also fun! :smug: I'm messing with plain gut again- but not on my main orch bass. Using Belcantos now- they aren't bad- nice pizz too imho, but I don't know why everyone raves about them so much- they aren't even CLOSE to Eudoxas!

Sorry, I have no help or suggestions to offer on extensions.

Good luck!

Joe

6. benharrisfan

benharrisfan

Sep 27, 2009
    Rinat Ibragimov, John Feeney, Jeremy McCoy

7. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    I see your problem, and I agree (another reason not to use an extension!! ;) ). I'm just letting you know people do it. Alan Molitz Double Bass Performer & Teacher, Toronto Ontario Alan Molitz has a real purty old bass with an old clunker of an extension that he strings with Eudoxas.

eerbrev

8. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    Thanks-what a bass! It looks like he may have modified that little wheel and the top of the extension. Very curious to know his experiences.

9. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    You know, it says on that one youtube video of the Koussevitzky that he's using "solo Eudoxas," but I can't see anywhere on the Pirastro site or at any stores where there actually is a solo gauge version of Eudoxas. I wonder if he's actually using Original Flat-Chromes, which used to be called "Eudoxa" and which come in orchestra and solo tunings?

10. eerbrev

eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    So far as I know they're a custom order of the guts from pirastro.