1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Classical solos -- Where can I find them, and which ones are good?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by NoX, Oct 19, 2004.

1. NoX

NoX

Oct 19, 2004
    Hey everyone,

I'm interested in picking up a couple bass solos, i've been out of the game for quite a while and I'm hoping to get back into it for a partial scholarship to college. I've been playing bass for five years now, and have a previous four years of violin tacked on to that.

First off, I know of one solo that I want a copy to, i played it a couple years back, and it would be a nice warm up piece to get me back into solo playing, sonata in E minor for string bass and piano, written by benedetto marcello. Looking around on the internet, I can only find a cello version, and I'm wondering if thats the correct one. The copy I had was written for string bass and piano, but i guess it was actually originally for cello and continuo. Anyone know a place on line that would have this either by itself or in some kind of compilation? A recording would also be great.

Secondly, I'm wanting to get a challenging solo, and a recording of it. Suggestions would be nice. Only requirements are that it must be classical, and preferably more challenging than the solo listed above. I'm trying to grow as a musician.

Thanks for the help,

NoX