Classical solos -- Where can I find them, and which ones are good?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by NoX, Oct 19, 2004.

1. NoX

Oct 19, 2004
    Hey everyone,

I'm interested in picking up a couple bass solos, i've been out of the game for quite a while and I'm hoping to get back into it for a partial scholarship to college. I've been playing bass for five years now, and have a previous four years of violin tacked on to that.

First off, I know of one solo that I want a copy to, i played it a couple years back, and it would be a nice warm up piece to get me back into solo playing, sonata in E minor for string bass and piano, written by benedetto marcello. Looking around on the internet, I can only find a cello version, and I'm wondering if thats the correct one. The copy I had was written for string bass and piano, but i guess it was actually originally for cello and continuo. Anyone know a place on line that would have this either by itself or in some kind of compilation? A recording would also be great.

Secondly, I'm wanting to get a challenging solo, and a recording of it. Suggestions would be nice. Only requirements are that it must be classical, and preferably more challenging than the solo listed above. I'm trying to grow as a musician.

Thanks for the help,