1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Claw Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by cman227, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cman227

cman227

Dec 21, 2014
    Does anyone incorporate the claw technique? This is a right hand technique where you use your thumb and fingers to slap and pluck but it's not as aggressive as a traditional slap pluck. I have tried this and really like the tone it yields but I am currently having an issue with the low b string ringing. Can anyone inform me of any muting techniques to implement in this scenario?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's just fingerpicking. Very common on guitar, less so on bass.
    Use the meaty part of your right hand, below your thumb, to mute the thicker strings.

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    It looks to me like he is also using his thumb to mute the string he is playing.

Also: on a technical note, I object to the idea of debasing an interesting approach to the bass by dismissing it a guitar technique.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's cute.
    All that person is doing is a faster version of how Sting applies guitar fingerpicking to bass.
    It's old hat.
    4fc06188a2e3ed03148406d313909c7d.

farace likes this.
  5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Sweet, post a video of yourself showing me how to do it. I am curious to learn.

david bennett likes this.
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    My lesson rate is $75/hr.
    My video production rate is $100/hr.
    If you would like me to make a custom lesson video for you, PM me.

7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    It's just not fair how ridiculously good he is! :D

porterbass and Charlzm like this.
  9. cman227

cman227

Dec 21, 2014
    Anyway... It's a bit different from guitar as there is a bit more slap in the thumb and a bit more aggressive pull involved. It yields a nice tone but the muting technique can get complicated. I read that some bassist use a hair scrunchie (sic?) on the first fret to help with muting.

HolmeBass and Michael Schreiber like this.
  10. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    That’s also useful for holding the cigarette in place for a bass because of the thicker strings and wider spacing relative to guitar.

I found this technique useful for playing octaves foR a euro-dance tune.

11. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    son_of_mogh and JeffC23 like this.
  12. noagreement

noagreement

Oct 12, 2006
    Yo Philly!
    Great vid and technique! I just can't figure out how none of his dreads got caught up in his fingers or strings!

13. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    See, that's how to get the slap tone but, still actually get notes. None of that slappity percussion noise where the left hand is all over the neck and you haven't heard an actual note in the past 15 minutes. Ha!

JeffC23 likes this.
  14. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    He actually has a video where he gives a VERY quick, high level explanation of the technique.

15. It’s all fun and games until a dreadlock gets caught in a G string and 47 people die because of it :cautious:.

ariwax and jaysbass2002 like this.
  16. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Hate to break it to you but that is nothing like fingerpicking on the guitar.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    JeffC23 and TinyE like this.
  17. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I do guitar-style fingerpicking on bass for some of my tunes (really simple stuff), and I agree, it's nothing like Remco's claw technique. He's much close to what Billy Sheehan does, I think, but in a completely different way (groovy not wanky).

JeffC23 and superheavyfunk like this.
  18. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO, Similar to some facets of Victor Wooten's technique which integrates claw, double thumb, single thumb, pop, and hand mutes. Wooten claims much of what he does is an adaption of flamenco guitar technique.

19. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Exactly.

I've been using that technique on both guitar and bass for 30 years. You can do it cleanly by plucking parallel to the body or more percussively like he's doing by pulling the strings away and letting them slap back against the frets. But it's still basically fingerpicking.

None of which is to say the guy isn't good at it or that it doesn't sound good, but it isn't anything new.

20. allcanbforgiven

allcanbforgiven The Lord's Neck Shop Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2015
    Blacklick, Ohio
    I play the guitar like my bass, less the slap pop!:thumbsup: