Claypool tones?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jammadave, Oct 22, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Okay, so I whipped out Rhinoplasty for the morning commute today and have two specific tones i'm dying to know about.

1. Too Many Puppies. is that a phaser? an envelope filter? what?

2. Tommy the Cat (live) - I assume this is just Les and his CT gettin' down, but for all the slapping, it's not overly sproingy. If I had this slap tone I'd play slap all the time! So what's the deal here - string type, EQ? Anybody know the particulars?
  2. El Bobo

El Bobo

Apr 24, 2003
    The tommy the cat version on Rhinoplasty is played on one oe of his old Fender jazz basses that was retro fitted with emgs.

3. I would like his tone my self. Good sounding slap that can fit into new age stuff. I love like Wootens lite funk sound but I don't think it would be necessarily the best for all settings. Same with any tone I guess. i am still trying to find mine.
  4. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Well, I MIGHT be wrong, but I can get a Claypool-esque slap tone if I dial in lots of mids and not too much treble. That way, you'll get a punchy, percussive sound without those overly sharp highs. And yes, a tone like that fits in well with a lot of styles other than funk. Most slap purists may want to kill you, though. OH NO WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TRYING TO PLAY SLAP WITH THE MIDS ALL TURNED UP YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS, KID?!?!
  5. Yeah, Claypool's tone is very midrangey, and pretty full live, but not too harshly bright.

My favorite tone.:D
  6. monark110

Oct 27, 2003
    claypool rocks!
    'nuff said
  7. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    UGG, I hate Claypool's tone.

But it's cool if you dig it. :)
  8. :mad: :mad:

Okay;) :D
  9. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    +1 Oh yes, I've gotten steam out of a few ears with boosted mids slap sounds. It jsut sounds better to me... and also not like everyone else with a big fat thumb.

TTC was indeed a jazz. THink just about any bass with EMGs should be able to at least get close, but a lot of it really IS in the fingers.