1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Clean sounding amp recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kellymack, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Kellymack

Kellymack Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2011
    I'd like to get an amp that can be used for bass and piano, I'd play it through a home brew 10/6/1 4 ohm or a fearless 12/6/1 8 ohm. Some where between 200 -300 watts. Tried a TH 350, but would like cleaner, thinking about GK mb200. What other options do I have?

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Anything with more wattage is going to have more clean headroom. Is this for gigs or just at home?

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I wouldn't consider a GK MB200 as "clean" - maybe you'd want something like a used GB Shuttle 3.0 . I have both and the former gets nice and grindy while the latter is painfully "clean" - a great practice amp if you want to really hear the imperfections in your playing ;) .

4. Find a used shuttlemax 9.2, or Carvin BX1500.

5. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    If you don't mind the size and the weight, a Hartke LH500 is very clean and an excellent value.
    The GB and Carvin also get a lot of love in the 'clean headroom' category.

6. Kellymack

Jan 7, 2011
    The amp would be used for practice at home, and keyboard at small gigs.

7. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I use Acoustic Image amps (Contra and Focus) for electric bass as well as acoustic. Sounds great and I would describe it as a nice "clean" sound. Lightweight, too. :)

8. Don't know your budget, but I'd consider the Tecamp Puma 500.
    I play the Puma 900, very clean, neutral, transparent and open sounding amp; almost in the Glockenklang tone family.
    I have used mine for teaching quiet a lot, cds and mp3s sound very clean, have never heard it with piano or keys though.

9. Kellymack

Jan 7, 2011
    Mmmmm, sounds like a good suggestion. Thanks

10. What you have asked for is something like a Carvin BX-250. As others have said, if you intend to play gigs with this rig, more power is probably a good idea and it has never been cheaper. The Carvin BX-1500 or Hartke LH500 are good candidates. More money and used opens up many more possibilities. If you are playing oldies or non-rock at small venues the BX-250 may be all you really need.

11. Kellymack

Jan 7, 2011
    I considered that Bx 500 in the classifieds

12. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Have you considered the GK 1001RB? Loads of clean and powerful headroom.

13. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    The Carvin BX250 is probably what you are looking for. 200 watts @ 8 ohms and 250 watts @ 4 ohms. I have one that I thoroughly enjoy.

14. Kellymack

Jan 7, 2011
    I figured that my home brew 10-6-1 is rated at 250 watts, that's why I wanted to stay 250-350 watt range. I have the option of using a fearful 12-6-1 if the venue is bigger... It's probably capable of 500+ watts. But that will probably be excessive in most venues being played...

I should have mentioned that the jazz band plays in small restaurants and coffee shops. There are the keyboards, (1) amplified guitar, double bass and a small jazz drum kit.

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've done this very thing - bass amps make DANDY keyboard amps. Any good bass amp will work for you. In fact, "dirty" bass amps are much less common than clean ones.

16. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Amps do not come much cleaner and flatter than MarkBass LMII or LMIII. And they are at the power level you ask, too.

17. +1. Plentiful, inexpensive and durable.

18. lax4bags

lax4bags Supporting Member

May 15, 2012
    Alabama
    Swr headlite is clean especially with the aural enhancer at 200hz Lots of sparkling highs that I usually don't use. 250 watts about at 8 ohms 400@ 4 ohms

19. Lots of good suggestions, I would add Eden amps, but the Euphonic Audio, Acoustic Image, and TecAmps are probably the glassiest and cleanest of the ones mentioned. But Eden, SWR, Genz Shuttle/ShuttleMax, and MarkBass would all work well too. I am not so sure about the GK, I always associated those with being a bit grindy amps great for rock bass tones. But I suppose if you run the pre low you can get a clean sound out of them.